Merle Haggard Best of The Early Years
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 1991
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Curb Mod Afw
- 1.The Legend Of Bonnie And Clyde
- 2.Today I Started Loving You Again
- 3.I Threw Away The Rose
- 4.Strangers, (My Friends Are Gonna Be)
- 5.Someone Told My Story
- 6.I'm Gonna Break Every Heart I Can
- 7.Sam Hill
- 8.Killers Three Theme
- 9.Street Singer
- 10.Jesus, Take A Hold
- 11.I Can't Be Myself
- 12.Sidewalks Of Chicago
Merle Haggard burst onto the national country scene in 1965 with the Top Ten hit "(My Friends Are Gonna Be) Strangers)." Over the next five years, Haggard's music slowly evolved, shifting its focus from heartbreak songs and barroom weepers to social issues and his own troubled spirit. BEST OF THE EARLY YEARS gathers ten tracks from this period, showing how quickly Haggard mastered each of these genres.
As a singer, Haggard has always had the ability to convey a deep sadness, and he uses this talent to great effect in his tales of jilted lovers "(My Friends Are Gonna Be) Strangers," and "Someone Told My Story." That same sadness shines through in his songs about wanderers ("Sidewalks Of Chicago"), drunkards ("I Threw Away The Rose") and despair ("I Can't Be Myself," "Jesus, Take A Hold"). Haggard's versatility also allows him to tackle comic songs ("Sam Hill"), historical narrative ("The Legend Of Bonnie And Clyde") and songs of deep tenderness ("Today I Started Loving You Again"). EARLY YEARS provides a solid, inexpensive introduction to Haggard's first successful efforts in country. Those seeking a more extensive overview might consider Razor and Tie's THE LONESOME FUGITIVE.
Waylon JenningsToo Dumb For New York City, Too Ugly For L.A. (CD) View Details
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country: Bakersfield Music Categories:
- The Buckaroos The Best of The Buckaroos (CD) ~ $15.28
- The Buckaroos The Buckaroos Play Buck & Merle (CD) ~ $15.28
- Cisco 7740 Valmont St. (CD) ~ $8.42
Tommy Collins Black Cat: Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight (CD) ~
$18.82 Super Savings
Tommy Collins Leonard (5-CD Box Set) ~
$112.98 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE