- Restored Television Broadcast Version
- Theatrical Trailers
- Lecture from Keizo Murase (Creature Sculptor)
- Audio Commentary from Keizo Murase
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 10, 2005
- Originally Released: 1961
- Label: Tokyo Shock
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: This release features two versions of this film: the original, uncut version and the cut, made-for-television version.
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - Japanese, English
- Subtitles - English - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Trailers
- Audio Commentary: Production Designer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
A monstrous classic from the creators of the Godzilla
series. The first appearance of Varan (Destroy All Monsters
), one of Toho's most unique creations to attack the movie screen! Directed by the legendary Ishiro Honda and with special effects by FX master Eiji Tsuburaya.
During an excursion to research an unusual butterfly in the mountains of northeastern Japan, two explorers are mysteriously killed. The natives of the island blame the deaths on their God 'Varan' who becomes enraged at the sight of humans. A second group of researchers, not heeding the natives' warning, rouse the gigantic angry beast and evoke the destruction of the native village. The Self-Defense Force launches a counterattack; battleships, tanks, and high-powered explosives, deployed to halt the spiney-backed, flying creature as it heads for the ultimate stomping ground - Tokyo.
While performing scientific experiments off the Japanese coast, a Naval commander disturbs a submerged prehistoric monster - Varan. The revived beast proceeds to destroy Japan, again.