- Released: November 7, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Curb Mod Afw
- 1.Stangers, (My Friends Are Gonna Be)
- 2.Swingin' Doors
- 3.The Bottle Let Me Down
- 4.I'm A Lonesome Fugitive
- 5.I Threw Away The Rose
- 6.Branded Man
- 7.Sing Me Back Home
- 8.The Legend Of Bonnie & Clyde
- 9.Mama Tried
- 10.I Take A Lot Of Pride In What I Am
- 11.Hungry Eyes
- 12.Workin' Man Blues
- 13.Okie From Muskogee
- 14.The Fightin' Side Of Me
- 15.Someday We'll Look Back
- 16.Daddy Frank (The Guitar Man)
- 18.It's Not Love (But It's Not Bad)
- 19.The Emptiest Arms In The World
- 20.Everybody's Had The Blues
Includes liner notes by Barry Alfonso.
Personnel: Merle Haggard (vocals, guitar).
Liner Note Author: Barry Alfonso.
Purists may quibble over the somewhat misleading packaging here, since it's only when you read the liner notes that you discover that these are mid-'90s re-recordings of Haggard's signature songs from the '60s and '70s. Nevertheless, this is well worth hearing. The backing--presumably by Haggard's longtime ace road band, the Strangers--is sensationally fluent, the arrangements are as pared down as the originals, and Haggard's singing has only deepened with age, as witness the newfound tone of rueful regret in "Mama Tried." A worthy supplement to the genuine article.