Neil Young Harvest
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: December 31, 1992
- Originally Released: 1983
- Label: Reprise / WEA
Rolling Stone - 12/11/03, p.114Ranked #78 in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums Of All Time" - "...Americana - steel, guitar, slide guitar, banjo - stripped down and rebuilt with every jagged edge exposed..."
Q - 7/00, p.141Included in Q's "The Best Male Angst Albums Of All Time" - "...The showcase for [his] most affecting artistic devices..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 11/01, p.150"...If he was laid-back at this time it was simply because spinal surgery had made him literally so..."
NME (Magazine) - 10/2/93, p.29Ranked #60 in NME's list of the 'Greatest Albums Of All Time.'
NME (Magazine) - 9/18/93, p.19Ranked #22 in NME's list of the 'Greatest Albums Of The '70s.'
- 1.Out On The Weekend
- 3.A Man Needs A Maid
- 4.Heart Of Gold
- 5.Are You Ready For The Country
- 6.Old Man
- 7.There's A World
- 9.The Needle And The Damage Done
- 10.Words (Between The Lines Of Age)
Composer: Neil Young.
Personnel: Neil Young (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Neil Young; James Taylor Move (vocals, guitar, banjo); David Crosby (vocals, guitar, background vocals); Graham Nash, James Taylor , Stephen Stills, Linda Ronstadt (vocals, background vocals); Teddy Irwin (guitar); James McMahon, John Harris , John Harris (piano); Tim Drummond (bass instrument, drums); Ben Keith (vocals, guitar, steel guitar, dobro); Jack Nitzsche (guitar, slide guitar, lap steel guitar, piano, keyboards); Kenny Buttrey (drums); London Symphony Orchestra.
Recording information: Barking Town Hall, London, England (01/1971-09/1971); Broken Arrow Studio #2, CA (01/1971-09/1971); Quadrafonic Sound Studios, Nashville, TN (01/1971-09/1971); Royce Hall, UCLA, CA (01/1971-09/1971); Royce Hall, University of CA, Los Angeles, CA (01/1971-09/1971).
Photographer: Joel Bernstein.
Arranger: Jack Nitzsche.
Recognized as one of Young's (and hence one of rock & roll's) finest albums, HARVEST put the singer on the mainstream map with the mega-hit "Heart of Gold," which defined a soft folk-rock style frequently revisited by lesser artists throughout the 1970s. It also features some of his darker compositions, like the entropy-obsessed "Old Man" and the junkie eulogy, "The Needle and the Damage Done," one of Young's most haunting and compelling songs.
Deceptively laid-back-sounding country-rock plaints like "Out on the Weekend" and the title cut caress the ear unassumingly, pulling you into the more ominous subtext that is present even in the rollicking "Are You Ready for the Country." As always, Young has an ear for contrasts, laying down heavy rock ("Alabama") beside his balladry, and even employing the London Symphony Orchestra on the excellent confessional "A Man Needs a Maid." Due to back troubles, Young recorded much of this material while wearing a brace, a fact that seems audible in the tension and unease that underlies the friendly, acoustic surface of this superb release.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 173 ratings.
Based on 173 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Isley Brothers Shout! (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: 18 Original Hits (Wooden Gift Box) (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE