Talking Heads Talking Heads '77
|CYBER SALE:||$10.43 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.55 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 16, 1987
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Warner Bros / WEA
Spin - p.104"With his distressed falsetto, David Byrne is new wave's first definitive voice."
Uncut - p.825 stars out of 5 -- "[The] remarkable cohabitation of painterly, arty ambitions and fascination with the lissom qualities of the groove can be seen from their very first single."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1163 stars out of 5 -- "Their claustrophobic tunes of social unease, mathematical arrangements and front man David Byrne's self-conscious take on mundane events elevated them far beyond what would become new wave."
- 1.Uh-Oh, Love Comes To Town
- 2.New Feeling
- 3.Tentative Decisions
- 4.Happy Day
- 5.Who Is It?
- 6.No Compassion
- 7.The Book I Read
- 8.Don't Worry About The Government
- 9.First Week / Last Week...Carefree
- 10.Psycho Killer
- 11.Pulled Up
Talking Heads: David Byrne (vocals, guitar); Jerry Harrison (guitar, keyboards, background vocals); Tina Weymouth (bass); Chris Frantz (drums).
Recorded at Sundragon Studios, New York, New York.
Personnel: Jerry Harrison (vocals, guitar, keyboards); David Byrne (vocals, guitar); Tina Weymouth (vocals); Chris Frantz (drums).
Recording information: Sun dragon Studios, New York, NY; Sundragon Studios, N.Y.C.
Photographer: Mick Rock .
When they burst out of the New York underground/CBGB's movement, the Heads stood apart from the pack because not only were they unlike anything that gone before, they were even anomalous to their contemporaries. A million miles from the detached irony of Blondie or the willful primitivism of the Ramones, the Talking Heads virtually invented geek-rock, setting the stage for everyone from the Violent Femmes to They Might Be Giants. Lyrically, David Byrne came off as the guy who thought too much about everything. Fortunately, he also happened to be a unique visionary, whose quirky, hyper-cerebral modernism echoed the work of poet John Ashbery and "serious" composer Robert Ashley.
All this high-mindedness doesn't detract from the infectious rock & roll appeal of the tunes on the band's debut album, though. Their twitchy, preppies-on-amphetamines rhythms and semi-neurotic gestalt fueled tunes like twisted anthem "Psycho Killer" and the jubilant "Pulled Up." Byrne's high, yelping tenor was the perfect complement to the band's tightly-wound but kinetic rhythms, and 77 is an auspicious debut.
Talking HeadsThe Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads (2-LPs - 180GV)
$31.98 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 44 ratings.
Based on 44 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Rock & Pop: New Wave Music Categories:
- 999 Nasty Tales (Live) (CD) ~ $13.49 CYBER SALE
- A-ha Headlines & Deadlines (Hits Of) (CD) ~ $8.67 CYBER SALE
- A-ha Hunting High & Low: Deluxe Edition [Import] (CD) ~ $19.55 CYBER SALE
- A-ha Hunting High and Low [30th Anniversary Edition] (CD) ~ $7.06 CYBER SALE
- A-ha Hunting High and Low [Bonus CD] [Bonus Tracks] (2-CD) ~ $27.89 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE