The Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me
Hurry! Only 1 copy left Sorry no back-orders
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$5.12 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$0.86 (14% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Steely Dan Citizen Steely Dan 1972-1920 (4-CD) ~ $47.52
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Warner Bros / WEA
Record Collector (magazine) - p.934 stars out of 5 -- "THE CAPTAIN AND ME proved to be a major breakthrough, with Johnston's celebratory 'Natural Thing' and the mellow country of 'South City Midnight Lady' clear highlights..."
- 1.Natural Thing
- 2.Long Train Runnin'
- 3.China Grove
- 4.Dark Eyed Cajun Woman
- 5.Clear As The Driven Snow
- 6.Without You
- 7.South City Midnight Lady
- 8.Evil Woman
- 9.Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corners
- 11.The Captain And Me
The Doobie Brothers: Tom Johnston (vocals, guitar, harmonica, ARP synthesizer); Pat Simmons (vocals, guitar, ARP synthesizer); Tiran Porter (vocals, bass instrument); John Hartman (vocals, drums, percussion); Michael Hossack (drums, congas, timbales).
Additional personnel: Jeff Baxter (pedal steel guitar); Bill Payne (piano, organ).
CAPTAIN AND ME found the Doobie Brothers boasting three strong vocalists, two expert guitarists, and a brace of rhythmic drummers, refining a sound that crossed AM pop-rock, soul-tinged R&B, country-folk, jazzy gospel, and strong musicianship. The result burst the band into national prominence. Traces of Moby Grape, whom the group adored, can be heard in their vibrant harmonies and flowing hooklines, but THE CAPTAIN AND ME showed an act of singular purpose.
The effervescent urgency propelling the percolating groover "Long Train Running" and the leaner rock of "China Grove" into the US singles charts is apparent on every selection. In addition to the band's gorgeous layered harmonies and twin guitar arpeggios, THE CAPTAIN AND ME features the band's strongest and most consistent set of songs. Patrick Simmons's mellow, country-rock numbers, such as "South City Midnight Lady" and "Clear As the Driven Snow," abut Tom Johnson's rockers, like the majestic title track. In short, this record defines the classic sound that would make the Doobie Brothers one of the most popular and commercially successful bands of the '70s, and it still stands--arguably--as their finest moment.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 74 ratings.
Based on 74 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Joe Newman The Complete RCA Victor Recordings (1955-1956) "The Basie Days (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Fugitives On The Run With The Fugitives (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE