Charles Mingus Blues & Roots
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$11.12 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.87 (14% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- John Coltrane Blue Train [The Ultimate Blue Train] (CD) ~ $11.68
- Thelonious Monk / John Coltrane Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall (CD) ~ $16.55
- John Coltrane My Favorite Things (Deluxe) (CD) ~ $10.78
- Released: June 15, 1987
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Atlantic
Q - 7/93, p.1104 Stars - Excellent - "...at his best he could drive his fellow musicians onwards and upwards with big bass playing and hoarse exhortations. BLUES & ROOTS contains six servings of this brilliance..."
Down Beat - 19604 Stars - Very Good - "...vital and important music...[Mingus] is outstanding in his solo work...this is something worth careful and thorough listening..."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.965 stars out of 5 -- "[A] classic 1957 set showcasing Mingus' compositional genius as well as his unerring ability at getting the best from his sidemen."
- 1.Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting
- 2.Cryin' Blues
- 5.My Jelly Roll Soul
- 6.E's Flat Ah's Flat Too
The 1998 reissue of BLUES & ROOTS contains all the original tracks and liner notes, plus additional tracks and rare photos.
Personnel: Charles Mingus (bass); Jackie McLean, John Handy (alto saxophone); Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone); Jimmy Knepper, Willie Dennis (trombone); Horace Parlan, Mal Waldron (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums).
Recorded at Atlantic Studios, New York, New York on February 4, 1959. Originally released on Atlantic (1305). Includes liner notes by Charles Mingus.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Jackie McLean, John Handy (alto saxophone); Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone); Jimmy Knepper, Willie Dennis (trombone); Horace Parlan, Mal Waldron (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums).
Liner Note Author: Charles Mingus.
Recording information: Atlantic Studios, New York, NY (02/04/1959).
Photographer: Lee Friedlander.
Mingus goes to church. A thrilling album of blues and spirituals Mingus style. This 1959 Atlantic recording certainly ranks among his very best. Memorable performances of some of the bassist's most soulful tunes such as "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting" and "E's Flat Ah's Flat Too." Mingus is joined by an exuberant ensemble including a stellar saxophone section of Jackie McLean, John Handy, Booker Ervin, and Pepper Adams.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 30 ratings.
Based on 30 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE