Neil Young After The Gold Rush
|CYBER SALE:||$9.44 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.54 (21% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 7, 1987
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Reprise / WEA
Rolling Stone - 12/11/03, p.114Ranked #71 in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums Of All Time" - "...An album of heartbreaking ballads....The music is gentle..."
Spin - p.101"His most plaintively pretty and mournfully pissed-off folk album."
Q - 4/02, p.141"...Subdued, intimate, largely acoustic: the sound of the post-'60s comedown pressed into vinyl. Packed with fine songs..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 11/01, p.150"...With the singular exception of 'Southern Man', the songs here sound gentler but are still about confusion and disillusion..."
NME (Magazine) - 9/18/93, p.19Ranked #19 among The Greatest Albums Of The '70s.
NME (Magazine) - 10/2/93, p.29Ranked #66 in NME's list of the 'Greatest Albums Of All Time.'
- 1.Tell Me Why
- 2.After The Gold Rush
- 3.Only Love Can Break Your Heart
- 4.Southern Man
- 5.Till The Morning Comes
- 6.Oh Lonesome Me
- 7.Don't Let It Bring You Down
- 9.When You Dance You Can Really Love
- 10.I Believe In You
- 11.Cripple Creek Ferry
Personnel: Neil Young (vocals, guitar, harmonica, piano, vibraphone); Neil Young; Nils Lofgren (vocals, guitar, piano, background vocals); Danny Whitten (vocals, guitar, background vocals); Ralph Molina (vocals, drums, background vocals); Stephen Stills (vocals, background vocals); Bill Peterson (flugelhorn); Billy Talbot, Greg Reeves (bass instrument); Jack Nitzsche (piano).
Audio Mixer: Susan Young.
Recording information: 08/1969-01/1970.
Photographer: Joel Bernstein.
AFTER THE GOLDRUSH mixes up the hard rock of EVERYONE KNOWS THIS IS NOWHERE and the folk and country leanings Young pursued with Crosby, Stills And Nash in one of his most eclectic and satisfying releases. The acoustic picking on the opener, "Tell Me Why," frames Young's vulnerable warble beautifully, signaling the softer aspect of the album. But the electric crunch of "Southern Man," a raging tour de force protest song that captures the special chemistry between Young and backing group Crazy Horse, balances Young's sensitivity with aggression and amplification.
The album continues its collage of styles, from the wistfulness of "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" to song fragments like "Til the Morning Comes" to the transformation of Don Gibson's "Oh Lonesome Me" from canter to ballad. But the crowning achievements are the album's magnificent title track, a vividly drawn portrait of post-'60s melancholy, and the gorgeous, aching "Birds," a swan song heralding emotional departure. Both songs are graced by Nils Lofgren's delicate piano, and stand as two of Young's finest compositions. In a catalogue filled with rock classics, AFTER THE GOLDRUSH still ranks among the best.
Tower of Song: An Epic Story of Canada and Its Music (DVD)
$5.98 CYBER SALE
Greatest Hits (2-LPs-180GV + Large Spindle Hole 7"+ POSTER)
$37.95 CYBER SALE
Johnny Cash - The Best of the Johnny Cash TV Show, 1969-1971 (DVD)
$10.78 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 161 ratings.
Based on 161 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Rock & Pop: Country Rock Music Categories:
- 38 Special Wild-Eyed Southern Boys (CD) ~ $5.97 CYBER SALE
- Jay Boy Adams Fork in the Road (CD) ~ $3.58 CYBER SALE
- Jay Boy Adams Jay Boy Adams (CD) ~ $3.58 CYBER SALE
- Ryan Adams Heartbreaker (CD) ~ $11.02 CYBER SALE
- Ryan Adams Heartbreaker [Deluxe Edition] (2CD + DVD) ~ $22.99 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE