Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$10.99 (55% Off)|
- Includes Theatrical Trailer
- Languages: English & French
- Subtitles in English, French & Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 6, 2005
- Originally Released: 1939
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono 1.0 English
- Additional Release Material:
- Documentary: Vintage BBC Documentary Profile Garbo, Hosted by Joan Crawford
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Greta Garbo & Melvyn Douglas|
|Performer:||Bela Lugosi, Ina Claire, Alexander Granach, Sig Ruman, Felix Bressart, Dorothy Adams & Gregory Gaye|
|Directed by||Ernst Lubitsch|
|Edited by||Gene Ruggiero|
|Written by||Charles Brackett|
|Composition by||Werner R. Heymann|
|Produced by||Ernst Lubitsch|
|Director of Photography:||William H. Daniels|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"...Garbo's penultimate movie..."
"[T]he heretofore serious actress lightens up in Lubtisch's quick-witted comedy."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Working from a cleverly barbed script written in part by Billy Wilder, director Ernst Lubitsch knew better than anyone how to marry refinement with sublime wit. "At least twice a day the most dignified human being is ridiculous," he explained about his acclaimed Lubitsch Touch. That's how we see Garbo's lovestruck Ninotchka: serenely dignified yet endearingly ridiculous. Garbo laughs. So will you.
Description by Warner Home Video:
- NINOTCHKA, which premiered in Hollywood on October 6, 1939, was the first film produced for MGM by Ernst Lubitsch.
- NINOTCHKA was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1990.
- The picture was advertised as the film where "Garbo Laughs!", recalling the "Garbo Talks!" campaign of ANNA CHRISTIE. But, according to a 1980 Hollywood Reporter item, Garbo's laugh had to be dubbed in, as she "couldn't summon up more than a somber chuckle." Ernst Lubitsch was quoted as saying that Garbo was the "most inhibited person [he had] ever worked with." He claimed that she was highly embarrassed to act drunk in a restaurant filled with extras.
- A New York Times article claims that MGM changed the setting of the film from Moscow to Paris, in order to avoid showing any depiction of living conditions in Russia, whether they be "pleasant or deplorable."
- Cary Grant was MGM's first choice for male lead, and William Powell was a consideration as late as a week before production. But the cameras started rolling without a leading man. Melvyn Douglas was finally cast as Count Leon d'Algout.
- NINOTCHKA created an uproar in the Soviet Union. As late as the 1950s, Soviet authorities were threatening a Vienna theater to force it to stop running the film.
- A misunderstanding occurred when a letter was sent from the Soviets to Italian government officials in Rome demanding that NINOTCHKA be pulled from Italian theaters. The office was without a translator at the time and mistook the note for correspondence regarding the Soviet proposal for major political negotiations.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 54 ratings.
1939 is considered the greatest year in movie making with such classics as "Gone With The Wind" and "The Wizard Of Oz"! However, this film is quite boring and dull! Greta Garbo robotic performance and Mr.Douglas forced acting really put me to sleep viewing this film! It was nominated for a couple of Oscars and I can't see why except that MGM had such a stranglehold over the movie industry which to me was unfair over the other studios! Anyway, if you are a fan of Garbo (I am not) you might want to check out her other films like "Queen Christina" and "Anna Christie"! Ninotchka, in my opinion, is a dud!
Top ranking DVD:
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Leeches (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Peter Gunn - Best of Season 1 (2-DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.