George Benson Weekend in L.A. (Live)
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Warner Bros / WEA
- 1.Weekend In L. A.
- 2.On Broadway
- 3.Down Here On The Ground
- 4.California P. M.
- 5.The Greatest Love Of All
- 6.It's All In The Game
- 8.Ode To A Kudu
- 9.Lady Blue
- 10.We All Remember Wes
- 11.We As Love
Personnel: George Benson (vocals, guitar); Jorge Dalto (piano, keyboards); Ronnie Foster (keyboards); Phil Upchurch (guitar), Stanley Banks (bass); Harvey Mason (drums); Ralph MacDonald (percussion).
Recorded live at the Roxy, Hollywood, California on September 30 and October 1-2, 1977.
In the late '60s and early '70s, George Benson bounced back and forth between recording as a featured soloist in an orchestrated ensemble, and as a bandleader who seemed to really enjoy both interacting with his sidemen, and hearing them cut loose. By 1978 he was a star, on the strength of the hit album BREEZIN', release two years before.
WEEKEND IN L.A. is definitely one of Benson's pop albums--he pretty much sticks to vocals on "Down Here on the Ground," for example, not touching his guitar until the final 30 seconds of the tune. Where he does play, he plays well, reprising "Ode to a Kudu" from BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON, for example, and tossing in a quote from the Gershwins' "I Got Rhythm" during the title cut. The liner notes imply that the live tapes, recorded over two nights at the Roxy, were later enhanced in the studio.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Based on 17 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE