Charles Mingus Mingus at Antibes (Live)
|You Save:||$0.73 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- John Coltrane Blue Train [The Ultimate Blue Train] (CD) ~ $12.14
- Thelonious Monk / John Coltrane Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall (CD) ~ $15.00
- John Coltrane My Favorite Things (Deluxe) (CD) ~ $10.78
- Released: March 1, 1993
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Warner Bros Mod Afw
Q - 7/93, p.1103 Stars - Good - "...The planned spontaneity which Mingus worked so hard to [achieve] comes off on AT ANTIBES, with a slimmed down group featuring the superb Eric Dolphy..."
- 1.Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting
- 2.Prayer For Passive Resistance
- 3.What Love?
- 4.I'll Remember April
- 5.Folk Forms I
- 6.Better Git Hit In Your Soul
Originally released as a 2 LP set, this CD reissue is the complete concert.
Personnel: Charles Mingus (acoustic bass, piano); Eric Dolphy (alto saxophone, bass clarinet); Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone); Ted Curson (trumpet); Bud Powell (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums).
Recorded live at the Antibes Jazz Festival, Juan-les-Pins, France, July 13, 1960. Includes original liner notes by Robert Palmer.
Personnel: Charles Mingus (piano); Eric Dolphy (bass clarinet, alto saxophone); Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone); Ted Curson (trumpet); Bud Powell (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums).
Liner Note Author: Robert Palmer .
Recording information: Antibes Jazz Festival, Juan-Les-Pins, France (07/13/1960).
Photographer: Jean-Pierre Leloir.
The claim that "This is one of the great Mingus albums," made in the liner notes to MINGUS AT ANTIBES, is no exaggeration. Recorded live at the Antibes Jazz Festival in 1960, Mingus is presented here at his emotional, ground-breaking best with an ensemble that was surely one of his finest. Mining the style forged on BLUES AND ROOTS (released in early 1960), the music is an adrenaline-charged amalgam of black folk forms: gospel, blues, call and response and collective group improvisation, all woven through the spacious structures of Mingus' fiercely complex compositions.
All of this and more is evidenced on the surging, riotous "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting," which opens the album, followed by "Prayer For Passive Resistance" in a similar vein. "What Love," based loosely on the chord structures of "What Is This Thing Called Love" is highlighted by loose, improvisational passages and a free-form dialogue between Mingus' bass and Eric Dolphy's bass clarinet. Elsewhere, Dolphy plays alto sax with great intensity and startling, conversational phrasing. A stirring performance, MINGUS AT ANTIBES captures the artist at one of the most exciting points of his career.
Three Or Four Shades of Blue / Cumbia & Jazz Fusion (2-CD)(2)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE