Miles Davis Doo-Bop
|You Save:||$1 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Miles Davis ~ Amandla ~ $13.25
- by Miles Davis ~ Aura ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Miles Davis ~ Decoy ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Miles Davis ~ The Man With The Horn ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Miles Davis ~ You're Under Arrest ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
Products with a similar style:
- John Coltrane Blue Train [The Ultimate Blue Train] (CD) ~ $11.68
- Thelonious Monk / John Coltrane Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall (CD) ~ $15.00
- John Coltrane My Favorite Things (Deluxe) (CD) ~ $10.78
- Released: June 30, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Warner Bros / WEA
Entertainment Weekly - 8/21/92, p.60"...[Miles] solos with impeccable logic and wistful finesse over smoothly intricate hip-hop rhythm tracks..." - Rating: B-
Q - 9/92, p.704 Stars - Excellent - "...a collector's piece...it is as hip, sexy, open and complex as the best of his work since he elected to turn to FM airplay music in the 1980's..."
Down Beat - 8/92, p.374.5 Stars - Very Good Plus - "...What excites me about DOO-BOP is the way Miles was playing in his last days....Where he has sounded tentative at times on recent recordings, here he starts and ends his ideas crisply....It's a hell of an exit, chief..."
Musician - 6/92, p.96"...This is a hip hop record....For younger ears weaned on modern beats, it's an inviting opening into one of the great cornucopias of American music....Like most everything Miles played, the music of DOO-BOP is cool and warm, beautiful and true..."
- 2.The Doo-Bop Song
- 3.Chocolate Chip
- 4.High Speed Chase
- 8.Duke Booty
Personnel includes: Miles Davis (trumpet); A.B. Money, J.R. (vocals); Easy Mo Bee (rap vocals).
Engineers include: Kirk Yano, Bruce Moore, John McGlain.
Recorded at Unique Recording, New York, New York.
This is the recording Miles Davis was working on when he checked into the hospital in mid-September of 1991. With his passing on the 28th of September, a major epoch in American music came to a close. Somewhere in the back of his mind he probably knew that he was living on borrowed time, because earlier that summer he'd finally consented to make a nostalgic return to the classic music that emerged from his collaborations with Gil Evans (MILES & QUINCY AT MONTREAUX). But as the contemporary sounds of DOO-BOP indicate, Miles Davis was incapable of sustained backwards glances.
As the rapology of J.R., A.B. Money and Easy Mo Bee on "The Doo-Bop Song," "Blow" and "Fantasy" indicates, Miles and his collaborators were still feeling each other out in terms of themes and context. The raps revolve around hangin' with the legendary Davis--let's dim the lights and get down with my man Miles. In terms of dance tracks, the Afro-Cuban airs of "Blow" make it the most successful, while "Fantasy" re-visits Clyde Stubblefield's much sampled "Funky Drummer" beat--via the "Red Clay" chord changes--with hip-happy results.
But many of the funky arrangements are a bitch, and Miles sounds funky, lyrical and relaxed. "Chocolate Chip" recalls the ancient doo wop and R&B antecedents of modern funk, including a nod to James Brown, while "Duke Booty" presents the modern perspective on funk. And "High Speed Chase" anticipates the current acid jazz fascination with cool blues and boogaloo grooves of the Blue Note and CTI studio styles, as Miles blows bumblebee lines over fatback organ, vibes and a variety of street sounds.
The Best of Miles Davis & John Coltrane: 1955-1961 (CD)(17)
$6.02 Super Savings
1970 Isle of Wight Festival: Message To Love (DVD)(67)
$7.83 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 41 ratings.
Based on 41 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)(20)
$3.99 Super Savings
An Evening with Louis Armstrong at Pasadena Civic... (CD)(6)
$12.58 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE