- Released: December 8, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Elektra / WEA
- 1.These Arms Of Mine
- 2.Pain In My Heart
- 3.That's How Strong My Love Is
- 4.Mr. Pitiful
- 5.I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)
- 7.I Can't Turn You Loose
- 9.My Lover's Prayer
- 10.Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)
- 11.Try A Little Tenderness
- 13.The Happy Song (Dum-Dum)
- 15.Dock Of The Bay, (Sittin' On) The
- 16.I've Got Dreams To Remember
Includes liner notes by Kevin Phinney.
Digitally remastered by Bill Inglot & Dan Hersch.
Personnel: Otis Redding (vocals); Carla Thomas (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Kevin Phinney.
It is impossible to overrate Otis Redding. This Rhino compilation, while in no way comprehensive, is nonetheless an outstanding sampler of songs by one of soul music's all-time titans. There's not a dud among these 16 songs, and some, like "These Arms Of Mine," "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay," and "Try A Little Tenderness," rank among the greatest pop songs ever recorded.
Redding's performances are mesmerizing and seem to embody the perfect balance between acute sensitivity and sheer overwhelming emotional strength. The combination of Redding's magnetism and the quality of such songs as "Mr. Pitiful," "I Can't Turn You Loose," and "Respect" is almost too good to be true. The album's only shortcoming is that there aren't more tracks to savor. A perfect introduction to this phenomenal singer.