Charles Mingus Changes Two
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- John Coltrane Blue Train [The Ultimate Blue Train] (CD) ~ $11.68
- Thelonious Monk / John Coltrane Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall (CD) ~ $16.55
- John Coltrane My Favorite Things (Deluxe) (CD) ~ $10.78
- Released: August 17, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Atlantic Mod Afw
Q - 9/96, p.1404 Stars - Excellent - "Late-period Mingus...wherein trademark musical tangents and indulgent titling...are reassuringly present."
JazzTimes - 12/93, p.63"...Mingus' '70s quintet with George Adams, Jack Walrath, Don Pullen and Dannie Richmond was his last great small group ...CHANGES ONE and [CHANGES] TWO are not among Mingus' most ambitious recordings, but they are among his most satisfying...."
- 1.Free Cell Block F, 'Tis Nazi U.S.A.
- 2.The Orange Was The Color Of Her Dressn Silk Blue
- 3.Black Bats And Poles
- 4.Duke Ellington's Sound Of Love
- 5.For Harry Carney
Personnel: Charles Mingus (acoustic bass); George Adams (tenor saxophone); Jack Walrath, Marcus Belgrave (trumpet); Don Pullen (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums).
Recorded at Atlantic Recording Studios, New York, on December 27-28 & 30, 1974. Originally released on Atlantic (1678). Includes original relase liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
Personnel: Jackie Paris (vocals); George Adams (tenor saxophone); Jack Walrath, Marcus Belgrave (trumpet); Don Pullen (piano); Dannie Richmond (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Gene Paul.
Audio Remixers: Ilhan Mimaroglu; Bobby Warner.
Liner Note Author: Nat Hentoff.
Recording information: Atlantic Recording Studios, New York, NY (12/27/1974-12/30/1974).
Photographer: David Gahr.
Arranger: Sy Johnson.
Among the best of Mingus' later work, CHANGES TWO (and its companion disc CHANGES ONE, both recorded in a single session) is a compelling journey into the kaleidoscopic world of this genius bassist/composer. Recalling Duke Ellington in the ambitious scope of his meticulously crafted arrangements (and Mingus in fact pays tribute to the Duke here with "Duke Ellington's Sound Of Love," including a sensitive vocal performance by Jackie Paris), Mingus also pulls the music into the future. In this way, he straddles two worlds--the traditional and the avant-garde--translating the essentials and instrumentation of jazz into a modern idiom.
The variety and exploratory breadth of his sensibility are evident from the quick, sunny theme of the album's opener to the morphing, multi-layered sections of "Orange Was The Color Of Her Dress, Then Silk Blue," to the driving, tumbling "Black Bats and Poles," distinguished by outstanding solos. Throughout, one finds a careful sculpting of melodic and textural patterns on piano and horns, held together by the rhythmic complexities of Dannie Richmond's drums and Mingus's bass. Highly recommended, CHANGES TWO (particularly in conjunction with ONE) acts as an excellent introduction to the music of this jazz pioneer.
Miles DavisMiles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3...
$42.51 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE