Stephen Stills Stephen Stills
|You Save:||$2 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 1, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Atlantic
Mojo (Publisher)"Churchy organ and piano abound here....[P]orchfront solo blues Black Queen establishes Stills as no mean picker himself..."
- 1.Love The One You're With
- 2.Do For The Others
- 3.Church (Part Of Someone)
- 4.Old Times Good Times
- 5.Go Back Home
- 6.Sit Yourself Down
- 7.To A Flame
- 8.Black Queen
- 10.We Are Not Helpless
Personnel includes: Stephen Stills (vocals, guitar, organ, keyboards, bass, steel drums, percussion); Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton (guitar); Sydney George (flute, alto flute, winds); Booker T. Jones (organ, keyboards, background vocals); Fuzzy Samuels (bass, background vocals); Dallas Taylor, John Barbata (drums); David Crosby, Graham Nash, Cass Elliott, Rita Coolidge, Priscilla Coolidge, Claudia Lennear, John Sebastian (background vocals).
Personnel: Stephen Stills (vocals, guitar, organ, keyboards, steel drum, percussion); Booker T. Jones (vocals, organ, keyboards); Sherlie Matthews, David Crosby, Claudia Lanier, Fuzzy Samuels, Priscilla Jones, Graham Nash, Judith Powell, John Sebastian , Larry Steele, Liza Strike, Priscilla Coolidge, Rita Coolidge, Tony Wilson , Claudia Lennear, Cass Elliot (vocals); Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix (guitar); Sidney George (flute, alto flute); Dallas Taylor , Conrad Isadore, John Barbata, Richie Hayward (drums); Jeff Whittaker (congas); Sydney George (wind).
Recording information: London, England.
This outstanding solo debut came at a particularly successful and creative time for Stephen Stills. In the first few years of the 1970s, he recorded two solo albums, released the superb Manassas double-album, and performed as part of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. No one would expect a musician spreading himself so thin to be able to make a record as focused, nuanced, and bursting with ideas as STEPHEN STILLS-- yet that is exactly what Stills did. On this varied set Stills's prodigious talent is laid bare, encompassing Memphis soul, folk, blues, gospel, rock, and good-time pop with a grace that equals anything in his discography.
The best-known cut here is the '70s radio staple "Love the One You're With," with its percolating percussion and free-love ethos. Equally arresting is "Black Queen," an acoustic guitar showcase allegedly recorded after Stills had downed a bottle of tequila. The gorgeous, stirring "Do for the Others" is another highlight. Stills plays many of the instruments himself, but a star-studded guest list, including Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton (who plays lead on the bluesy "Go Back Home"), and Jimi Hendrix (who solos on the rocker "Old Times Good Times"). Yet this is Stills's show all the way, showcasing his songwriting, singing, and musicianship to superb effect.
David CrosbyIf I Could Only Remember My Name [Bonus Tracks] (2-CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 91 ratings.
Based on 91 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)(14)
$4.12 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra Hey... Let Yourself Go! / C'mon... Get Happy! (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Doo Wop, Volume 5 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Doo Wop, Volume 7 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 6 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE