Curtis Mayfield Curtis (Deluxe)
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$0.41 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Marvin Gaye 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.99
- Released: August 15, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Rhino
Rolling Stone - 2/3/00, p.534 stars out of 5 - "Cut for cut, Mayfield's solo debut is stronger than SUPERFLY....Rare items: the achingly empathetic 'Other Side of Town' and 'Miss Black America,' featuring one of his many children."
Q - 12/00, p.1444 stars out of 5 - "...It wedded the big issues of the day to peerless songwriting that yielded such enduring classics as 'Move On Up'..."
- 1.If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go, (Don't Worry)
- 2.The Other Side Of Town
- 3.The Makings Of You
- 4.We The People Who Are Darker Than Blue
- 5.Move On Up
- 6.Miss Black America
- 7.Wild And Free
- 8.Give It Up
- 9.Power To The People
- 11.Ghetto Child
- 12.Readings In Astrology
- 14.Miss Black America
- 15.The Makings Of You
- 16.If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go, (Don't Worry) [Backing Tracks]
- 17.If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go, (Don't Worry) [Single Version]
Recorded at RCA Studios, Chicago, Illinois. Includes liner notes by David Nathan.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Curtis Mayfield (vocals); Don Simmons (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Daniel Hersch.
Liner Note Authors: David Nathan ; Michael Wesley Johnson.
Recording information: RCA Studios, Chicago, IL.
Photographer: Bob Cato.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Elliott Golub; Sol Bobrob; John Ross.
Arrangers: Gary Slabo; Riley Hampton.
CURTIS is the first solo album by R&B/soul legend Curtis Mayfield. After leaving the Impressions, Mayfield began to write lyrics that were more politically charged. With the 1970 release of CURTIS, he became one of the most important socially conscious artists of his generation. The album's opener, "(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below We're All Going to Go" uses racial epithets openly, as Mayfield asserts the shiftlessness of America. Set to a funky groove, with smart horn arrangements and wah-wah guitar, this song is a brazen attack on social mores, racism, the Vietnam War, religious impropriety, and Nixon-era politics.
"We the People Who Are Darker Than Blue" is another track that poignantly examines the race and class struggles of urban America. This song is made up of more than just a static groove; its tempos shift midway through and powerful brass figures, timpani punctuations, and harp glissandos soon dominate the mix. Also featuring the powerful "Move On Up," CURTIS is a classic soul record, and its relevance is amplified by its quest for racial harmony and its bold anti-establishment stance. (Note: The 2000 reissue of CURTIS features nine bonus tracks.)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Based on 20 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Someone Else's Arms / I Did It / I Call It Trouble (CD)
$12.07 Super Savings
The Right Tracks: The Complete OKeh Recordings 1963-1966 (CD)(3)
$12.35 Super Savings
Storm Warning: Philly Original Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD)(2)
$13.95 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE