|SUPER SAVINGS:||$16.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.79 (15% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 1, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Atlantic
Rolling Stone - 5/25/72, p.62"...a substantial, honest sound...the familiar, inviting flavor of the bands that Manassas' principal members have been involved with (The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Flying Burrito Brothers, CSN&Y)..."
Q - 7/93, p.1143 Stars - Good - "...Touching on straight rock, Cuban rhythms, acoustic blues, synthesizer workouts and grounded in fine ensemble performances, MANASSAS is just about a forgotten classic...it's easy to see what the fuss was all about..."
- 1.Song Of Love
- 2.Rock & Roll Crazies / Cuban Bluegrass
- 3.Jet Set (Sigh)
- 5.Both Of Us (Bound To Lose)
- 6.Fallen Eagle
- 7.Jesus Gave Love Away For Free
- 9.So Begins The Task
- 10.Hide It So Deep
- 11.Don't Look At My Shadow
- 12.It Doesn't Matter
- 13.Johnny's Garden
- 14.Bound To Fall
- 15.How Far
- 16.Move Around
- 17.The Love Gangster
- 18.What To Do
- 19.Right Now
- 20.The Treasure
- 21.Blues Man
Manassas/Stephen Stills: Stephen Stills (vocals, guitar, acoustic guitar, bottleneck guitar, piano, electric piano, Clavinet, organ, Moog synthesizer); Al Perkins (vocals, guitar, steel guitar); Chris Hillman (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Joe Lala (vocals, congas, timbales, percussion); Paul Harris (piano, tack piano, electric piano, Clavinet, organ); Fuzzy Samuels (bass instrument); Dallas Taylor (drums).
Personnel: Stephen Stills (keyboards); Byron Berline (violin, fiddle); Sydney George (flute, harmonica); Jerry Aiello (piano, electric piano, Clavinet, organ); Paul Harris (keyboards); Bill Wyman (bass instrument); Roger Bush (acoustic bass, acoustic bass guitar); Malcolm Cecil (programming).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Gastwirt.
Recording information: Criteria Sound Studios, Miami, FL (1972).
Photographer: Ira H. Wexler.
Unknown Contributor Role: Sydney George.
Between 1970 and 1972, Stephen Stills was busy playing with Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, and working on a series of solo albums. In addition to all this activity he led the supergroup that appears on this stunning release. Originally a double album of four distinct sides, MANASSAS finds Stills and company (which includes friends and session musicians Chris Hillman, Dallas Taylor, and Al Perkins, among others) at the intersection of rock, folk, country, blues, and Latin flavors. Distinctive styles are noticeable song by song, yet the whole is a hodge-podge, and it is the strength and credibility of the mixture that makes MANASSAS such a great experience.
The first fourth of the album focuses on '60s rock with Afro-Cuban overtones (imagine Buffalo Springfield sitting in with Santana), followed by a batch of country and bluegrass-oriented material (with Chris Hillman's influence more strongly felt). The dreamy, swaying "It Doesn't Matter" kicks off the third section, which has a folk-rock feel, replete with multi-part harmonies and chiming guitars. The final section brings things back to amped-up rock, wrapping up the set with the rootsy groove of "Blues Man," a tribute to Jimi Hendrix. A rich and varied collection that is as sophisticated and complex as it is earthy and easy to listen to, MANASSAS is considered by many to be one of the great overlooked gems of the '70s rock.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 95 ratings.
Based on 95 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival (2-CD)(44)
$15.59 Super Savings
All My Friends: Celebrating the Songs & Voice of Gregg... (CD)
$17.42 Super Savings
Live: Back to Macon, GA - January 14, 2014 (2-CD + DVD)(2)
$22.15 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Joe Newman The Complete RCA Victor Recordings (1955-1956) "The Basie Days (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Yellowjackets Greenhouse (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE