Chicago Christmas: What's It Gonna Be Santa
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.41 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$0.57 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Chicago ~ Box (5-CD+DVD) ~ $63.73
- by Chicago ~ Chicago VI (Expanded & Remastered) ~ $11.69
- by Chicago ~ O Christmas Three ~ $10.12
Products with a similar style:
- Released: October 14, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Rhino
- 1.Winter Wonderland
- 2.Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
- 3.Jolly Old St. Nicholas
- 4.Little Drummer Boy
- 5.This Christmas
- 6.Feliz Navidad
- 8.The Christmas Song
- 9.O Come All Ye Faithful
- 10.Rudolf The Red-Nosed Reindeer
- 11.Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
- 12.Sleigh Ride
- 13.Silent Night
- 14.What Child Is This?
- 15.Christmas Time Is Here
- 16.God Rest Ye Merry, Gentleman
- 17.Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
- 18.Child's Prayer
- 19.One Little Candle
- 20.White Christmas
Chicago: Bill Champlin (vocals, acoustic guitar, organ, keyboards, synthesizer, programming); Keith Howland (vocals, guitar); Lee Loughnane (vocals, trumpet, flugelhorn); Robert Lamm (vocals, piano, electric piano, Clavinet, vibraphone); Jason Scheff (vocals, keyboards, bass, programming); Walt Parazaider (flute, alto flute, alto & tenor saxophones); James Pankow (trombone, synthesizer); Tris Imboden (drums).
Additional personnel includes: Luis Conte (percussion).
Principally recorded at A & M, Hollywood, California; Rumbo, Canoga Park, California and Gold Mine Studios, Woodland Hills, California in 1998. Originally released on Columbia (3035). Includes liner notes by David Millman.
Personnel: Bill Champlin (vocals, guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, electric piano, organ, synthesizer, bass synthesizer, programming, background vocals); Keith Howland (vocals, guitar, keyboards, background vocals); Lee Loughnane (vocals, trumpet, piccolo trumpet, flugelhorn, background vocals); Robert Lamm (vocals, piano, electric piano, Clavinet, vibraphone, background vocals); Jason Scheff (vocals, keyboards, electric bass, fretless bass, programming, background vocals); Tim Pierce (guitar, acoustic guitar); Walter Parazaider (flute, alto flute, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Roy Bittan (accordion, piano, organ, keyboards); Larry Klimas (baritone saxophone); James Pankow (trombone, synthesizer); Johnny Durrill (synthesizer); Tris Imboden (drums); Luis Conte (percussion); George Black (programming); Carmen Twillie (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Ed Thacker.
Audio Remasterer: Dave Donnelly .
Liner Note Author: David Millman.
Recording information: A&M Studios, Hollywood, CA (1998-2003); Glenwood Place Recording Studios, Burbank, CA (1998-2003); Gold Mine Studio, Woodland Hills, CA (1998-2003); Rumbo Recorders, Canoga Park, CA (1998-2003).
Arrangers: Donny Hathaway; Keith Howland; James Pankow; Jason Scheff; Johnny Durrill; Lee Loughnane; Robert Lamm; Tris Imboden; Bill Champlin; Lance Morrison.
Chicago Christmas: What's It Gonna Be, Santa? is actually a retitled reissue of Chicago's 1998 album Chicago 25: The Christmas Album with six newly recorded extra tracks, bringing the running time up near 75 minutes. Chicago 25 was a gold record seller, and after the band sold its catalog to Rhino Records in 2002 and that label began releasing expanded reissues of the back catalog, the idea of adding to the holiday album came up. It wasn't a bad record to begin with, one on which the Chicago style was applied to seasonal standards. As ever, the group was a cooperative unit, with the three lead singers -- Robert Lamm, Bill Champlin, and Jason Scheff -- taking turns on the different songs, arranged by various bandmembers and always allowing for generous contributions by the horn players Lee Loughnane, James Pankow, and Walt Parazaider. The songs were all old favorites except for Loughnane and John Durrill's "Child's Prayer," featuring a choir dominated by the musicians' children, which sounded so much like a Middle Ages English hymn that it fit right in. Highlights included a particularly moving vocal on "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by the gruff-voiced Champlin, a wonderful doubled flute passage by Parazaider on "O Come All Ye Faithful," and a rare lead vocal by Loughnane on "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" But the whole album, pristinely produced by E Street Band pianist Roy Bittan, was well performed. It sounded exactly like you would expect a Chicago Christmas album to sound, and if you liked the band and holiday music, you'd like the record, too. Now, there's just a little more of it, including a rocking version of "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" with new lyrics referring to the bandmembers; two more Loughnane lead vocals on "Bethlehem" and "Sleigh Ride"; and Champlin turning "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" into an R&B tour de force. Bittan may not have been available for the new sessions, but drafting in Phil Ramone as producer wasn't too shabby as replacements go. ~ William Ruhlmann
Rockin' in the USA: 22 Original Rare Television Recordings (DVD)(9)
$4.98 on SALE
Chicago Transit Authority (Remastered & Repackaged) (CD)(106)
$6.39 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 29 ratings.
Based on 29 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Holiday & Seasonal genre:
- Bob Hope Thanks For The Memories - A Special Holiday Edition (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Freddy Cannon Have A Boom Boom Christmas!! (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists The Best of Christmas: 25 Original Hits by the Original Artists (Disc 3) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists All Time Holiday Favorites: 25 Original Hits by the Original Artists (Disc 3) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Bruce Springsteen Merry Christmas Baby / War (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE