Die Nibelungen Saga
|You Save:||$3.99 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: DVD (2 Discs)
- Footage of Fritz Lang on the Set
- Comparison of the Dragon-Slaying Scenes From Siegried and The Thief of Bagdad (1924)
- Original 1924 Score by Gottfried Huppertz, Performed by the Munich Radio Orchestra
- Photo Gallery, Including Rare Behind-The-Scenes Images
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 4 hours, 51 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 9, 2004
- Originally Released: 1924
- Label: Kino Video
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes
- Featurette: A Comparison of the Dragon-Slaying Scenes in SIEGFRIED and THE THIEF OF BAGDAD
- Comparisons: Film-to-Storyboard Comparison
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Art
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Margarete Schoen & Paul Richter|
|Directed by||Fritz Lang|
Description by OLDIES.com:
One of the greatest artistic and technical achievements of the German silent cinema, Fritz Lang's monumental Die Nibelungen is a passionate retelling of Nordic legend, invested with all the resources of the colossal Ufa Studios. Scripted by Lang's wife at the time, Thea von Harbou (Metropolis), Siegfried establishes larger-than-life heroic characters who are defined by tests of valor and rigid codes of honor. In order to win the hand of Kriemhild (Margarete Schoen), Siegfried (Paul Richter) must win a bride for her brother, King Gunther (Theodor Loos). Kriemhild's Revenge begins after the death of Siegfried, and weaves the treacherous tale of his widow's ungodly vengeance upon his murderers. The noble qualities of the first film become liabilities in the second, as the blood oaths and vows of loyalty bring about a maelstrom of violence that results in the slaughter of entire armies (Lang would continue to explore this theme of bloodlust and revenge in such films as Fury, The Big Heat and Rancho Notorious, but never with such ferocity).
This edition of Die Nibelungen is more than 100 minutes longer than any version previously available in the U.S. and restores Lang's masterwork to its full glory.
Collected here are both parts of Fritz Lang's spectacular and groundbreaking film version of the Nibelungenlied, the Norse and German myth, that are known separately as SIEGFRIED and KRIEMHILD'S REVENGE. Complete with never before seen footage, re-translated intertitles, the original 1924 score, and a total of 135 minutes added to both films, due in part to the correction of the film's projection speed, this is the definitive version of DIE NIBELUNGEN SAGA. See individual titles for details.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Edition) (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Pterodactyl Woman From Beverly Hills (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Brides of Blood (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Suspense - Lost Episodes Collection 3 (4-DVD) ~ $7.98 on SALE