Peter, Paul and Mary In These Times
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 24, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Rhino
- 1.Union Medley: You Gotta Go Down And Join The Union / Put It On The Ground / Union Maid / We Shall Ov
- 2.Have You Ever Been To Jail For Justice?
- 3.Jesus Is On The Wire
- 4.Don't Laugh At Me
- 5.Wayfaring Stranger
- 6.The Great Storm Is Over
- 7.Invisible People
- 8.Of This World
- 9.Some Walls
- 10.All God's Critters
- 11.It's Magic
- 12.Oh, Had I A Golden Thread
Includes a poem by Mary Travers.
Peter, Paul & Mary: Peter Yarrow, Noel Paul Stookey (vocals, guitar); Mary Travers (vocals).
Additional personnel: Paul Prestopino (guitar, banjo, dobro, mandolin, harmonica); Richard Kniss (bass); Robert DeCormier.
Recorded at Quad Recording Studios, New York, New York.
Adapters: Mary Travers; Noel Paul Stookey; Peter Yarrow; Robert DeCormier .
Personnel: Paul Prestopino (guitar, dobro, banjo, mandolin, harmonica).
Liner Note Author: Mary Travers.
Recording information: Quad Recording Studios, New York, NY.
Arrangers: Mary Travers; Noel Paul Stookey; Peter Yarrow; Robert DeCormier .
For their first new album since 1995's Lifelines, veteran folk trio Peter, Paul & Mary haven't changed things around much. Although their voices are a little less angelic (at least in the normal sense), the quavering, breathy vocals carry a kind of earned wisdom that they could only hint at 40 years ago, and it makes the group's delivery of these songs all the more intimate and effective. In These Times has the usual traditional material, including a hard-charging version of "Wayfaring Stranger," a Pete Seeger song (the elegant "Oh, Had I a Golden Thread"), and the group's usual endorsement of new, young songwriters working in the folk vein. The obvious highlight this time around is a song by Boston-based songwriter Thea Hopkins, "Jesus Is on the Wire," which tells the chilling story of the murder of gay college student Matthew Shepard in Wyoming. With sparse, jagged, and highly cinematic lyrics, the song builds the same kind of quiet horror as Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit," and its matter-of-fact tone, even on the powerful chorus, makes "Jesus Is on the Wire" absolutely unforgettable. In These Times is valuable for that song alone, but fans of Peter, Paul & Mary won't be disappointed in the rest of the tracks here, either. The trio has aged well, and they've done it by not changing much of anything, making this album both reassuring and refreshing. ~ Steve Leggett
Peter, Paul and MaryPeter Paul and Mary with Symphony Orchestra: The Prague...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 22 ratings.
Based on 22 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE