Eric Clapton Me And Mr. Johnson
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$7.06 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$0.92 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 30, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Reprise / WEA
Rolling Stone - 4/15/04, p.1504 stars out of 5 - "When he finds Satan on his doorstep in 'Me and the Devil Blues,' you can hear in Clapton's deep, scarred howl that he is confronting an old acquaintance."
Rolling Stone - p.142Included in Rolling Stone's Top 50 Records Of 2004 - "In this superb, all-Johnson program, Clapton celebrates the Delta poetry that moved him to reinvent blues guitar..."
Entertainment Weekly - 4/2/04, p.65"[C]lapton sounds reinvigorated in these 14 songs by crossroads soul-salesman Robert Johnson..." - Rating: B+
Uncut - 4/04, p.1024 stars out of 5 - "[A]t 58, he sounds like a man who has faced down more than a few canine devils of his own."
- 1.When You Got A Good Friend
- 2.Little Queen Of Spades
- 3.They're Red Hot
- 4.Me And The Devil Blues
- 5.Traveling Riverside Blues
- 6.Last Fair Deal Gone Down
- 7.Stop Breakin' Down Blues
- 8.Milkcow's Calf Blues
- 9.Kind Hearted Woman Blues
- 10.Come On In My Kitchen
- 11.If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day
- 12.Love In Vain
- 13.32-20 Blues
- 14.Hell Hound On My Trail
Personnel: Eric Clapton (vocals, guitar); Andy Fairweather-Low, Doyle Bramhall II (guitar); Jerry Portnoy (harmonica); Billy Preston (keyboards); Nathan East (bass); Steve Gadd (drums).
Audio Mixer: Mick Guzauski.
Liner Note Author: Eric Clapton.
Eric Clapton and the blues have been inextricably linked dating back to his mid-1960s stint as a string-bending phenomenon in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. A decade after the release of his blues homage FROM THE CRADLE, Clapton's ME AND MR. JOHNSON pays tribute to his hero Robert Johnson. Rounding up a stellar backing crew, including Andy Fairweather-Low and Jerry Portnoy (both of whom appeared on CRADLE), Slowhand approaches the Johnson canon with a relaxed and confident touch.
Applying liberal amounts of slide and fuzz guitar, this English rock legend saunters along fare such as "Traveling Riverside Blues" and "Love in Vain," time-honored Johnson classics better known through renditions by Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, respectively. Portnoy's unobtrusive harp provides subtle accompaniment to Clapton's heartfelt playing, be it the swirling dirge "Hell Hound on My Trail" or the harmony-soaked "Come on in My Kitchen." The proceedings are also enhanced by the Hammond organ and piano work of sideman Billy Preston, whose trips up and down the eighty-eights give added punch to songs like the rollicking "32-20 Blues" and the barrelhouse "They're Red Hot."
Robert JohnsonThe Complete Recordings: The Centennial Collection (2-CD)
Elmore JamesFor Collectors Only - Complete Fire & Enjoy Recordings...
$12.73 LABOR DAY
Robert JohnsonKing of the Delta Blues Singers, Volume 2 [Bonus Track] View Details
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 263 ratings.
Based on 263 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.38 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 5 (2-CD) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- The Five Boroughs Doo Wop Under The Palms (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE