John Lee Hooker Ultimate Collection, 1948-1990 (2-CD)
|You Save:||$2.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Muddy Waters ~ At Newport ~ $6.74
- by Howlin' Wolf ~ His Best ~ $11.54
- by Howlin' Wolf ~ Howlin' Wolf / Moanin' in the Moonlight ~ $9.89
- by John Lee Hooker ~ Very Best of John Lee Hooker ~ $12.59
Products with a similar style:
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 19, 1991
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Rhino
Mojo (Publisher) - 10/01, p.168"...This is what Doctor Blues ordered..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Teachin' The Blues
- 2.Boogie Chillen'
- 3.Sally Mae
- 4.Let Your Daddy Ride
- 5.Crawlin' King Snake
- 6.Weeping Willow Boogie
- 7.Hobo Blues
- 8.Huckle Up Baby
- 9.I'm In The Mood
- 10.John L.'s House Rent Boogie
- 11.No More Doggin'
- 12.I Need Some Money
- 13.Frisco Blues
- 15.It Serves Me Right
- 16.Bottle Up And Go
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Boom Boom
- 2.Big Legs, Tight Skirt
- 3.You Know, I Know
- 4.One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
- 5.Let's Go Out Tonight
- 6.I Cover The Waterfront
- 7.She's Mine (Keep Your Hands To Yourself)
- 8.Back Biters And Syndicators
- 9.Think Twice Before You Go
- 10.Shake It Baby
- 11.I'm Bad Like Jesse James
- 13.Burning Hell
- 14.Terraplane Blues
- 15.I'm In The Mood
This set comes packaged in a thick 6" x 12" box with deluxe booklet. The selections span the period between 1948's "Boogie Chillun" and Hooker's 1990 performance of "I'm In The Mood" with Bonnie Raitt and Roy Rogers at the "Tribute To Roy Orbison" concert. Most of the 32 original tracks appear on CD for the first time.
Personnel includes: John Lee Hooker, Eddie Kirkland, Bonnie Raitt (vocals, guitar); The Vandellas (vocals); Alan Wilson (guitar, harmonica); Eddie Taylor, Eddie Burns, Muddy Waters, Sammy Lawhorn, T-Bone Walker, Luther Johnson, Henry Vestine, Roy Rogers (guitar); Louis Myers (harmonica); Hank Cosby (tenor sax); James Watkins, Lafayette Leake, Otis Spann (piano); Tom Parker (organ); Sam Jones, George Washington, Milt Hinton, Willie Dixon, Pete Cruickshank, Eddie Taylor, Mac Arnold, Antonio de la Barreda (bass); Louis Hayes, Tom Whitehead, David "Panama" Francis, Fred Below, Dave Boorman, Al Duncan, Jump Jackson, Francis Clay, Adolfo de la Parra (drums).
Includes liner notes by Greg Dust.
Digitally remastered by Bill Inglot and Ken Perry.
JOHN LEE HOOKER, THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION lives up to the promise of its title. The 32-song, two-CD set brings together more than four decades of material from the bluesman's illustrious career, from a track that appeared on Hooker's first foray into vinyl in 1948, to a live track with Bonnie Raitt that was recorded at a 1990 concert.
On the spare, sexual-innuendo-suffused "Terraplane Blues," (the most recent bit of studio work included in the collection) Hooker's voice has an aged, leathery quality. Roy Rogers provides silky acoustic slide-guitar accompaniment. "Let's Go Out Tonight" chronicles the search for an alternate, alfresco setting in which to engage in behavior normally reserved for the bedroom. The muted growl of Hooker's guitar provides the backdrop for most of these tales of broken love and general despondency. THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION would be an ideal addition to the collection of any John Lee Hooker fan and a thorough introduction for a neophyte.
The Best of Blues Guitars - 20th Century Masters /... (CD)
$5.39 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE