Grateful Dead Rockin' The Rhein With The Grateful Dead (3-CD, Digipak)
|You Save:||$3.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Grateful Dead ~ The Closing of Winterland: December 31, 1978 (4-CD) ~ $28.78
- by Grateful Dead ~ Filmore West 1969 (3-CD) ~ $30.77
- by Grateful Dead ~ Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack (5-CD) ~ $30.77
- by Grateful Dead ~ Ladies & Gentlemen (4-CD) ~ $28.78
Products with a similar style:
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: March 16, 2015
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Grateful Dead / WEA
Rolling Stone - p.1803 stars out of 5 - "In Dead lore, it's notable primarily for a forty-four-minute 'Dark Star suite..."
Dirty Linen - p.85"[The album] captures the 1972 Grateful Dead on a very good night and, thanks to 16-track master recordings and fine mixing by Jeffrey Norman, in spectacular audio quality."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1103 stars out of 5 - "[T]he set offers superb sound and enough bright moments to make it a welcome addition to the band's live canon."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.Tennessee Jed
- 3.Chinatown Shuffle
- 4.Black - Throated Wind
- 5.China Cat Sunflower
- 6.I Know You Rider
- 7.Mr. Charlie
- 8.Beat It On Down The Line
- 10.Playing In The Band
- 11.Next Time You See Me
- 12.Me and Bobby Mcgee
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Good Lovin
- 2.Casey Jones
- 3.Hes Gone
- 4.Hurts Me Too
- 5.El Paso
- 6.Turn On Your Lovelight
- 7.The Stranger (Two Souls In Communion)
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Dark Star
- 2.Me and My Uncle
- 3.Dark Star
- 4.Wharf Rat
- 5.Sugar Magnolia
- 6.Not Fade Away
- 7.Goin Down The Road Feeling Bad
- 8.Not Fade Away
- 9.One More Saturday Night
Grateful Dead: Bob Weir (guitar); Phil Lesh (bass guitar); Donna Jean Godchaux, Jerry Garcia, Keith Godchaux, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, Bill Kreutzmann.
Personnel: Jerry Garcia (vocals, guitar); Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (vocals, harmonica, organ, percussion); Phil Lesh (vocals, electric bass); Donna Jean Godchaux, Bob Weir (vocals); Keith Godchaux (piano); Bill Kreutzmann (drums).
Audio Mixer: Jeffrey Norman.
Recording information: Rheinhalle, Dusseldorf, Germany (04/24/1972/05/24/1972); The Lyceum, London, England (04/24/1972/05/24/1972).
The Grateful Dead's 1972 European tour marked the end of an era for the band. It was their last outing with founding member Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, who was the bluesy soul force of the group. Sadly, he would drink himself to death less than a year after the concert captured on this 3-disc set. Unlike EUROPE '72, a tour sampler notoriously overdubbed after the fact, ROCKIN' THE RHEIN offers a full show, warts and all, which is really the only way to experience the Dead's magical spontaneity. Pianist Keith Godchaux had already come aboard to fill out the sound, and his jazzy piano inspires the extended jams on "Playing in the Band" and legendary improv-epic "Dark Star."
Pigpen's gritty, gutter-rat blues are still present, though, as on his own "Chinatown Shuffle" (which never made it to the studio) and the classic Elmore James slow blues "Hurts Me Too." Even though alcohol had already begun taking its toll on Pigpen, his soul-man dominance of extended R&B rave-ups "Good Lovin'" and "Turn on Your Lovelight" (a bonus track from a London concert a month later) shows just what the band lost when he passed away. The Dead would never have another fiery frontman like Pigpen.
Grateful Dead - Relix, The Book: The Grateful Dead...(4)
$11.98 on SALE
Woodstock: 40th Anniversary Director's Cut (2-DVD)(85)
$21.75 Super Savings
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 29 ratings.
Based on 29 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Leadbelly/Blind Willie McTell Masters of The Country Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE