- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 11, 2011
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 06/01/1989
"...[A] vigorous, cheerfully outrageous British satire....The provocative ADVERTISING adds up to frightful good fun..."
New York Times - 03/30/1989
"...[Robinson] goes off on a new lunatic tangent....An engaging...combination of satire, science-fiction, Freud and domestic farce..."
Los Angeles Times - 05/05/1989
"...It's cruel, funny, knowing, never less than biting and occasionally brilliant....There is an awful power to Robinson's rhetoric and an irrefutable logic..."
Entertainment Weekly - 01/14/2011
"ADVERTISING is insane fun..." -- Grade: B+
A top-notch advertising executive becomes (Richard E. Grant) fed up in the midst of trying to come up with a pitch for a new pimple cream, chucking his job and rebelling against society at large. The cream ultimately may have come in handy, as a boil develops on his neck--and begins to talk! An inventive, bizarre satire.
A brilliant ad executive goes berserk trying to think of a clever campaign to sell a new, unglamorous pimple cream, to the extent that his subconscious sprouts a boil, which develops a face, alongside his head.
Big Business |
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Censors.
- Shot in Fujicolor. Began shooting June 6, 1987. Filmed at Lee International Film Studios in Shepperton, England, UK.
- Budget estimate $5 million.
Released in New York City and Los Angeles May 5, 1989 and London July 28, 1989. Released on video December 6, 1989.
- Reviewed the New York Times 3/30/1989 and Monthly Film Bulletin 8/1989.