Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts From The British Empire & Beyond, 1964-1969 (4-CD)
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$6.50 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Various Artists ~ Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968 ~ $17.08
- by Various Artists ~ Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968 (2-LPs - 180GV) ~ $25.56
- by Various Artists ~ San Francisco Nuggets, 1965-1970: Love Is The Song We Sing (4-CD) ~ $58.48
- by Various Artists ~ Where the Action Is! - Los Angeles Nuggets 1965-1968 (4-CD) ~ $55.48
- Number of Discs: 4
- Released: June 19, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Rhino
Rolling Stone - 7/5/01, p.1434 out of 5 stars - "...A monumental survey of a mid-'60s international iceberg...packed with coy communiques of drug use, sexual desire and social alienation....This set swings..."
Spin - 7/01, pp.130-19 out of 10 - "...109 killer songs....a non-Euclidean garage-rock hall of fame with the Creation as its brightest star..."
Entertainment Weekly - 7/13/01, p.87"...Its melodious late-'60s clamor pays tribute to the cool of the Beatles and Stones...with a nod to the American garage..." - Rating: A
Mojo (Publisher) - 7/01, p.110"...As a record of a peak moment in pop history, NUGGETS II matches up to its illustrious predecessor in every way."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.CreationMaking Time
- 2.FireFather's Name Is Dad
- 3.The MoveI Can Hear The Grass Grow
- 4.The SmokeMy Friend Jack
- 5.TomorrowMy White Bicycle
- 6.The ActionI'll Keep Holding On
- 7.The EyesWhen The Night Falls
- 8.The EasybeatsSorry
- 9.The Idle RaceImposters Of Life's Magazine
- 10.The La De DasHow Is The Air Up There?
- 11.Les Fleur De LysMud In Your Eye
- 12.The MotionsEverything (That's Mine)
- 13.The Mickey FinnGarden Of My Mind
- 14.The SorrowsTake A Heart
- 15.Q'65The Life I Live
- 16.The Pretty ThingsMidnight To Six Man
- 17.MarmaladeI See The Rain
- 18.The KoobasThe First Cut Is The Deepest
- 19.The MockingbirdsYou Stole My Love
- 20.The Haunted125
- 21.The Small FacesMy Mind's Eye
- 22.Los BravosGoing Nowhere
- 23.The ThoughtsAll Night Stand
- 24.The Masters ApprenticesWar Or Hands Of Time
- 25.We All TogetherIt's A Sin To Go Away
- 26.KaleidoscopeA Dream For Julie
- 27.The TagesI Read You Like An Open Book
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.The MisunderstoodChildren Of The Sun
- 2.Wimple WinchSave My Soul
- 3.John's ChildrenDesdemona
- 4.I Can Only Give You Everything
- 5.The TroggsLost Girl
- 6.The CraigI Must Be Mad
- 7.The BirdsSay Those Magic Words
- 8.CalebBaby Your Phrasing Is Bad
- 9.Golden EarringsDaddy Buy Me A Girl
- 10.Ronnie BurnsExit Stage Right
- 11.TimeboxGone Is The Sad Man
- 12.The EyesI'm Rowed Out
- 13.Davy JonesYou've Got A Habit Of Leaving
- 14.Rupert's PeopleReflections Of Charles Brown
- 15.The MascotsWords Enough To Tell You
- 16.The PoetsThat's The Way It's Got To Be
- 17.The Syn14 Hour Technicolour Dream
- 18.The Pretty ThingsWalking Through My Dreams
- 19.The PrimitivesYou Said
- 20.The Lost SoulsThis Life Of Mine
- 21.The ActionShadows & Reflections
- 22.The EasybeatsFriday On My Mind
- 23.Love SculptureIn The Land Of The Few
- 24.The MotionsFor Another Man
- 25.The MoveFire Brigade
- 26.The BootsGaby
- 27.CreationBiff! Bang! Pow!
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Cuby & The BlizzardsYour Body Not Your Soul
- 2.The TwilightsCathy, Come Home
- 3.Les Fleur De LysCircles
- 4.The MatadorsGet Down From The Tree
- 5.Q'65Cry In The Night
- 6.Los ChijuasChanging The Colors Of Life
- 7.The Blue StarsSocial End Product
- 8.The SyndicatsCrawdaddy Simone
- 9.The Sound MagicsDon't You Remember?
- 10.The Guess WhoIt's My Pride
- 11.The Open MindMagic Potion
- 12.The Missing LinksYou're Driving Me Insane
- 13.The JuryWho Dat?
- 14.John's ChildrenA Midsummer's Night Scene
- 15.SandsListen To The Sky
- 16.The MockingbirdsHow To Find A Lover
- 17.The Idle RaceDays Of The Broken Arrows
- 18.The EloisBy My Side
- 19.The FactoryPath Through The Forest
- 20.Episode SixLove Hate Revenge
- 21.Status QuoPictures Of Matchstick Men
- 22.VoiceThe Train To Disaster
- 23.The PlayboysSad
- 24.The SlavesSlaves Time
- 25.The Red SquaresYou Can Be My Baby
- 26.ScruggI Wish I Was Five
- 27.The Downliners SectGlendora
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 1.The Pretty ThingsRosalyn
- 2.The AtlanticsCome On
- 3.Dantalion's ChariotThe Madman Running Through The Fields
- 4.CreationHow Does It Feel To Feel
- 5.The MopsI'm Just A Mops
- 6.The Downliners SectWhy Don't You Smile Now
- 7.The Ugly DucklingsNothin'
- 8.Los ShakersBreak It All
- 9.TimonThe Bitter Thoughts Of Little Jane
- 10.The OutsidersTouch
- 11.Tintern AbbeyVacuum Cleaner
- 12.Thor's HammerMy Life
- 13.The WheelsBad Little Woman
- 14.PandamoniumNo Presents For Me
- 15.Os MutantesBat Macumba
- 16.Winston's FumbsReal Crazy Apartment
- 17.The SmokeNo More Now
- 18.The BirdsNo Good Without You
- 19.The ZippsKicks & Chicks
- 20.The Acid GalleryDance Around The Maypole
- 21.The FairiesGet Yourself Home
- 22.The Chants R&BI'm Your Witchdoctor
- 23.The BootsBut You'll Never Do It Babe
- 24.The MajorityOne Third
- 25.KaleidoscopeFlight From Ashiya
- 26.The Small FacesHere Come The Nice
- 27.The RattlesIt's My Fault
- 28.Blossom ToesWhen The Alarm Clock Rings
Compilation producers: Gary Stewart, Alec Palao.
Includes an 100-page booklet, including liner notes by Gary Stewart, Greg Shaw, Alec Palao & Mike Stax.
Digitally remastered by Dan Hersch & Bill Inglot.
Personnel: Rod Demick (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Brian Godding (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Trevor Burton, Dave Edmunds, Francis Rossi, Pete Watson , Jimmy Winston, Graham Gouldman, Roy Morris, Harry Vanda, Philip Elzerman, Hugo Fattoruso, Steve Nardelli, Jeff Lynne, Achim Reichel, John Kongos, Marc Bolan, Peter Beckett, Ronnie Martin, Roy Wood, Steve Marriott, Terry Martin, Tony Hill, Barry Gibb, Mick Rogers, Caleb Quaye (vocals, guitar); Rita Lee (vocals, flute, percussion); Willem Bieler (vocals, harmonica); Arnaldo Baptista (vocals, brass, keyboards); Trevor Griffin, Bruce Howard (vocals, organ); John "Buddy" Williams , Andrew Jackman, John Povey, Burton Cummings (vocals, keyboards); Bob Voice, Paul Stewart, Kevin Godley (vocals, drums); Jim Keays, Stevie Wright, Reg King, Chris Squire , Mike Patto, Brian Belshaw, G”ran Lagerberg, Hirobumi Suzuki, Werner Krabbe, Don Craine, Alan Marks, Ali McKenzie, Geoff Brown , Carlos Guerrero, Frans Krassenburg, Kim Gardner , Bruce Walker, Carl Wayne & the Vikings, Glenn Shorrock, Bob Garner, Alan Rowe, Paddy McCartney, Ian Gillan, George Gallacher, Alan "Bam" King , Phil Key, Timon Dogg, Tony Munroe, Kenny Pickett, Keith Ellis, Dick Dufall, Terry Nolder, Chris Andrews , Jack Brand, Jeff Christie, Keith Grant, Keith West , Maurice Gibb, Andy Ellison, Phil May, Reg Presley, Robin Gibb, Ronnie Lane, Van Morrison, John Lamb, Bob Lang, Wally Allen Waller, Peter Daltrey (vocals); Terry Britten (guitar, sitar); Ollie Halsall (guitar, vibraphone); Chris Britton, Kevin Borich, Doug Ford, Ricky Morrison, Dave Pritchard, Hume Paton, Johnny Kelman, Antonio Martinez, Glenn Ross Campbell , Bob Freeman, Joop Roelofs, George Kooymans, Vic Elmes, Frank Nuyens, Rick Parfitt, Radim Hladik, Eelco Gelling, Herbie Armstrong, Eddie Pumer, Terry Gibson, Roger Mayne, Tony Lander, Jimmy Page, Mal Luker, Mick Weaver, Miller Anderson, Randy Bachman, Ray Fenwick, Robbie Van Leeuwen, Steve Howe, Terry Paul, Bryn Haworth, Mickey Waller , John Stanley (guitar); Ulli Grun (harmonica, organ); Johnny Soul (harmonica); Jeff Williams (electric piano); Luis Oliver, Pete Solly, Ande Henriksson, Tony Kaye (organ); Colin Allen, Ronnie Bond, Doc Watson, Roger Spencer , Alan Gregory, Danny Bridgeman, Paul Holm, Harvey Shields, Craig Collinge, Ray Stock, Mike Wilding , Garry Peterson, Dave Wynne, Jaap Eggermont, Pete McDaniels, Geoff Gill, Sieb Warner, Hans Waterman, Robin Boers, Keith Guster, Trevor Courtney, Heinz Hoff, Phil Lancaster, Viv Prince, John Dalton , Baden Hutchins, John Coghlan, Jay Baar, Rick Moe, Peter ™stlund, Dave Dufort, Jimmy Crowley, John Halsey, Kenney Jones, Kevin Westlake, Bev Bevan, Tony Black, Chris Townson, Skip Alan, Carl Palmer, John Sutton (drums); Brian Peacock (background vocals).
Audio Remasterers: Dan Hersch; Bill Inglot.
Recording information: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia; Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Auckland, New Zealand; Basel, Switzerland; Berlin, Germany; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Copenhagen, Denmark; Hamburg, Germany; Hurstville, Australia; Juarez, Mexico; Lima, Peru; London, England; Melbourne, Australia; Minneapolis, MN; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Prague, Czech Republic; Pyrmont, Australia; Pyrmot, Australia; Rio De Janeiro, Brazil; Scheveningen, The Netherlands; Stockholm, Sweden; Sydney, Australia; The Hague, The Netherlands; The Netherlands; Tokyo, Japan; Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Wellington, New Zealand.
Directors: Giorgio Gomelsky; Paul Samwell-Smith.
Photographers: Jeremy Fletcher; Glenn A. Baker; Greg Allen ; Sylvia Pitcher.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Martin Curtis; Michael A. Glass; Steve Chapman .
Nuggets, Lenny Kaye's original 1972 compilation of garage and psych, loomed large in the record collectors consciousness, canonizing a portion of rock that was originally laughed off while setting the standard for reissues. Rhino's 1998 box set of the same name expanded the scope of that record, replicating most of the original while gloriously spilling forth over three additional discs -- and, in doing so, it spurred a minor revolution, becoming one of the most talked-about reissues of the last half of the '90s. Rhino knew there was an audience thirsting for a sequel, and they gave them one in 2001, but they didn't take the easy way out. Instead of offering another round of American garage rockers, they decided to take the road less traveled, compiling four discs of hidden treasures from non-American garage and psych bands. Most of these cuts are from British bands, but there are also selections from a pre-fame Guess Who, the New Zealand act the Smoke, the Brazilian psychedelia of Os Mutantes, the exceptional Merseybeat stylings of Uruguay's Los Shakers, and the extraordinary Peruvian combo We All Together, among other non-Brit acts. It's a brilliant, even necessary, move, since most of these bands and songs have been only heard only by the most dedicated collectors -- the kind that are willing to risk money based on just hearing a band mentioned, not to hear the group themselves. Let's face it -- apart from the Status Quo's "Pictures of Matchstick Men," the Small Faces' "Here Comes the Nice," and the Pretty Things' "Rosalyn," the most familiar song here is the opener, the Creation's "Making Time," simply because it provided the indelible soundtrack to Max Fischer's yearbook in Rushmore. That's four songs out of 109 -- a ratio that should simply entice most die-hard rockers and record collectors, especially since the familiar names (the Move, Them, the Easybeats, the Troggs) are represented by songs that aren't heard all that often. So, the big question is, does Nuggets, Vol. 2 deliver and is it worth spending the money for 100-plus songs you've never heard before? Well, if you're even slightly interested in this, the answer is yes. That doesn't mean this isn't without its faults -- like any garage rock, if it's listened to in once concentrated burst, it becomes a little samey, which is also a by-product of its biggest flaw, namely how the compilers favor songs that sound like American garage and downplaying the delirious, precious frutiness of British psych. Still, that's a minor complaint, because the simple fact of the matter is this -- there's no better way to fall in love with this music, not just because it does its job so well, it just simply doesn't have any peers. Furthermore, a lot of this stuff is pretty hard to come by (personally, I spent about 150 dollars on a complete Idle Race collection, and it's much better to get their two best songs here). Also, much of the bands here are best heard in this context, since they have a song, maybe three, that were stunners -- and all of these stunners in one place is stunning. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 66 ratings.
Based on 66 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!