- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 29, 2008
- Originally Released: 1955
- Label: Criterion
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Subtitles - English - Optional
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1956 -
Best Original Screenplay: Albert Lamorisse
Cannes 1956 -
Entertainment Weekly - 11/30/2007
"To see THE RED BALLOON is to laugh, and cry, at the impossible joy of being a child again." -- Grade: A
Perfect for all ages, this beautiful French film is a short with music and sound but no dialogue. The focal point is a bright red balloon, the psychological companion of a young French boy as he goes to school and plays with his friends. This classic won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. In 2008, Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao Hsien reimagined the beloved film as THE FLIGHT OF THE RED BALLOON.
One of the most successful children's films ever made.
This charming story centers around a lonely little boy who finds that a red balloon magically has a life of its own. As he chases the colorful, teasing object through the Paris streets, the child encounters a world full of adventure and fascinating people... but nothing can prepare him for his final experience with his new and playful friend.
High Flying |
- Also available from Home Vision Cinema as part of a double-feature with "White Mane".
- According to Georges Sadoul, 25,000 balloons were used in the film.