The Great Caruso (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
Suggested by Dorothy Caruso's biography of her husband, The Great Caruso rings out with aural pleasures (27 musical selections) and shines with the grandeur of a life lovingly refracted through the Hollywood biopic lens.
|You Save:||$6.67 (33% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
Also released as:
The Great Caruso [Import] for $13.34
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 49 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 1, 2011
- Originally Released: 1951
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Mario Lanza, Ann Blyth, Richard Hageman, Carl Benton Reid & Teresa Celli|
|Performer:||Eduard Franz, Dorothy Kirsten, Jarmila Novotna, Ludwig Donath, Ann Blyth & Carl Benton Reid|
|Directed by||Richard Thorpe|
|Edited by||Gene Ruggiero|
|Composition by||Johnny Green|
|Art Direction by||Gabriel Scognamillo|
|Director of Photography:||Joseph Ruttenberg|
Academy Awards 1951 - Best Sound Recording
Description by OLDIES.com:
Bravo, Enrico! Bravo, Mario! Renowned tenor Mario Lanza portrays his long-time singing idol Enrico Caruso in the crowd-pleasing musical that was 1951's #4 box-office hit. Suggested by Dorothy Caruso's biography of her husband, The Great Caruso rings out with aural pleasures (27 musical selections) and shines with the grandeur of a life lovingly refracted through the Hollywood biopic lens. The music (by Puccini, Donizetti, Verdi and more) emphasizes works most closely associated with Caruso. The story, spanning Caruso's Naples boyhood to worldwide acclaim and tragedy-stricken final performance, touches on the down-to-earth character traits that spread the singer's fame beyond the black-tie society of Metropolitan Opera connoisseurs. Nominated for three Academy Awards, the movie won for Best Sound Recording.
This satisfying fictionalized biography explores the life and loves of the great tenor from Naples who became the toast of the Metropolitan Opera in New York City, but died just as he reached his peak. Lanza is magnificent in the role and the score is an opera lover's dream with 27 musical numbers including arias from La Boheme, I Pagliacci, and Rigoletto.
- Additional cast includes: Nicola Moscona, Lucine Amara, and Marina Koshetz.
- Peter Herman Adler staged and conducted the operatic numbers.
- A Technicolor film.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 12,818
- UPC: 883316326206
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Graduate (Decades Collection) (Includes CD) (DVD)(270)
$3.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s, 30s and 40s - Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Ultra-Rare Pre-Code Comedies, Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Blondes and Redheads: Lost Comedy Classics, Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Forbidden Cinema, Volume 16 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Rediscovered Comedies of Edgar Kennedy, Volume 4 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE