Shel Silverstein The Best of Shel Silverstein - His Words His Songs His Friends
- Released: August 2, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Columbia/Legacy
Description by OLDIES.com:
Silverstein wrote every selection on Columbia/Legacy's new - and Shel's first ever - Best Of compilation (2 were co-writes: "The Taker" with Kris Kristofferson and "A Couple More Years" with Coccoriere). He performs over half of them. With a legacy encompassing some of the top-selling children's books of all time - including Where the Sidewalk Ends - Shel's recitations from his classic works will enchant the young at heart of every age. Oter highlights include Johnny Cash's Grammy-winning smash "A Boy Named Sue" and the Shel-penned hits for Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show, "Cover of the Rolling Stone" and "Sylvia's Mother."
Dirty Linen - pp.47-48"Silverstein's own voice was a raspy, delightfully expressive instrument that crossed the weirdest parts of Sterling Holloway and John Jacob Niles."
- 1.Shel SilversteinA Light In The Attic
- 2.Shel SilversteinA Front Row To Hear Ole Johnny Sing
- 3.Freakin' At The Freakers' Ball
- 4.Shel SilversteinMonsters I've Met
- 5.The Irish RoversThe Unicorn
- 6.Shel SilversteinThe Dragon Of Grindly Grun
- 7.Bobby BareMarie Lavaux
- 8.Shel SilversteinSarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take The Garbage Out
- 9.Sylvia's Mother
- 10.Kris KristoffersonThe Taker
- 11.Shel SilversteinHomework Machine
- 12.Shel SilversteinIckle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me Too
- 13.Shel SilversteinCrowded Tub
- 14.Shel SilversteinRock 'N' Roll Band
- 15.Cover Of Rolling Stone
- 16.Bobby BareDaddy What If
- 17.Shel SilversteinZebra Question
- 18.Shel SilversteinPlastic
- 19.Willie NelsonA Couple More Years
- 20.Shel SilversteinPeanut-Butter Sandwich
- 21.Queen Of The Silver Dollar
- 22.Shel SilversteinThe Generals
- 23.Shel SilversteinI Got Stoned And I Missed It
- 24.Johnny CashA Boy Named Sue
- 25.Shel SilversteinBoa Constrictor
- 26.Shel Silverstein26 Second Song (Hidden Track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Shel Silverstein (vocals); Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, The Irish Rovers, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Bobby Bare.
Liner Note Author: Mitch Myers.
The unerringly incisive (but always warm and engaging) satire of Shel Silverstein has expressed itself through stories, plays, cartoons, and, of course, songs. The musical side of his work bears the most personal stamp, though. His rough, endearingly amateurish singing and whole-hearted delivery effectively convey his unique charisma, and THE BEST OF SHEL SILVERSTEIN offers a fine entry into Silverstein's musical world. From his good-humored dissection of the hippie era ("Freakin' At the Freakers Ball") to the tunes that became staples of other artists' repertoire ("Marie Laveau," "A Boy Named Sue") and his poems/songs for children (he eventually achieved his greatest success with children's books), this collection paints a comprehensive portrait of Silverstein's multi-faceted talents.
Shel Silverstein - A Boy Named Shel: The Life and Times of... (Book)
$6.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible... (VHS)
$3.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE