Philly Joe Jones Look, Stop and Listen
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$14.80 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.18 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 19, 2010
- Originally Released: 2010
- Label: Uptown Jazz
Down Beat - p.504.5 stars out of 5 -- "[W]ith players such as Virgil Jones, Benny Powell and Frank Wess to call upon, the set is brimming with smart, rousing solos."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Look, Stop and Listen
- $0.99 on iTunes2.If You Could See Me Now
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Choose Now
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Focus
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Killer Joe
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Dial B For Beauty
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Our Delight
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Theme Of No Repeat
- $0.99 on iTunes9.If You Could See Me Now [1st Take] - (take)
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Look, Stop and Listen [1st Take] - (take)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Frank Wess (flute, alto saxophone); Charles Davis (flute, tenor saxophone); Virgil Jones (trumpet); Benny Powell (trombone); Walter Davis, Jr. (piano); Philly Joe Jones (drums).
Liner Note Author: Bob Bernotas.
Recording information: Englewood Cliffs, NJ (07/11/1983).
Photographer: Scott Sternbach.
Philly Joe Jones was Tadd Dameron's roommate for nine years and long thought that the pianist/composer's contributions had been pretty much overlooked. He formed the tribute band Dameronia to make explore the late composer's music, debuting with a small group in the spring of 1982. With the help of trumpeter Don Sickler (who makes a pair of rare appearances on tenor sax as well) as musical director, the band expanded by the time of its first recording a few months later to a nonet. By the time of its second recording the following year, the personnel had changed slightly, now including pianist Walter Davis, Jr., tenor giant Johnny Griffin, tenor saxophonist Charles Davis and alto saxophonist Frank Wess (both of whom double on flute), baritone saxophonist Cecil Payne, trombonist Benny Powell, trumpeter Virgil Jones, and bassist Larry Ridley. Sickler's transcriptions of Dameron's arrangements reveal the depth of his music. "Look, Stop and Listen" is a showcase for the leader, while Griffin shines in the richly textured ballad "If You Could See Me Now," backed by the lush flutes and brass. Wess' flighty alto and Powell's sassy trombone are featured in the rarely performed "Focus." Another gem is the infrequently heard "Dial B for Beauty," spotlighting Davis in a ballad setting instead of the driving hard bop often associated with him. The sole composition not by Dameron is a hard-charging take of "Killer Joe," again showcasing Griffin, who was invited as a guest for two songs initially but encouraged by the musicians to hang around and play on other tracks. Not satisfied with the original mix of the LP due to the dominant presence of the leader's drums (due to the fact that he refused to play in an isolation booth), original session engineer Rudy Van Gelder remixed the album, improving the sound and adding two alternate takes. Highly recommended. ~ Ken Dryden
Philly Joe JonesPhilly Joe's Beat / Philly Joe Jones & Elvin Jones Together!
$10.98 on SALE
Drums Around the World: Philly Joe Jones Big Band Sounds (CD)(2)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE