Steve Reich Reich - Remixed [Import]
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
Format: CD (2 Discs)
- by Kronos Quartet ~ Steve Reich: Octet / Music for a Large Ensemble / Violin Phase ~ $16.55
- Released: October 2, 2006
- Label: Warner Bros Uk
Entertainment Weekly - 3/5/99, p.67"Given his prescient work with sound collages and rhythmic pulses, is minimalist composer Steve Reich the father of electroinca? This anthology, on which techno DJs overhaul Reich's recordings, makes clear their debt yet is a remixed blessing..." - Rating: B
Magnet - 4/99, p.82"...[the] samples are warmly human, [the] rhythms are delicately unpredictable, [the] keyboards are richly symphonic and [the] remixes bridge the gap between generations, delivering Reich into the clubs and into the brave new electronic world he helped create."
CMJ - 3/1/99, p.3"...On REICH REMIXED, nine remixers (including DJ Spooky, Howie B. and Ken Ishii) fashion the originals into everything from haunting, ambient dreamscapes to funky, rhythmic throwdowns....Don't cross the 21st Century bridge without hearing this one."
- 1.Megamix Tranquility Bass mix (Disc 01)
- 2.City Life Dj Spooky that subliminal kid mix
- 3.Music For 18 Musicians Coldcut mix
- 4.Come Out Ken Ishii mix
- 5.Drumming Mantronix maximum drum formula mix
- 6.Proverb Nobukazu Takemura mix
- 7.Piano Phase D - Note phased & konfused mix
- 8.Eight Lines Howie B mix
- 9.Four Sections Andrea Parker mix
- 10.Desert Music Freq Nasty & Blim mix
- 11.Drumming Four Tet mix (Disc 02)
- 12.Proverb Alex Smoke mix
- 13.Music For 18 Musicians Ruoho Ruotsi pulse section dub
- 14.Come Out original version / hidden track
REICH REMIXED features DJ remixes of original recordings by composer Steve Reich.
Includes liner notes by Michael Gordon.
Tributee: Steve Reich.
If there is one quality which characterizes minimalist composer Steve Reich's music, it is its steady, relentless pulse. So no matter how the nine celebrated DJs featured here reassemble, cut and paste, or appropriate the original tracks by Reich and his ensemble, the rhythmic verve bubbling up within these remixes happily betrays the source. Then again Reich is no stranger to radical tape manipulations himself, having made his name in the late sixties with the monumental tape loops "Come Out," "It's Gonna Rain," and the original "Violin Phase" featuring Paul Zukovsky.
Some of these tracks, most notably those by Tranquility Bass and DJ Spooky, borrow far and wide from the Reich ouevre, and take us on a dreamy journey through a shimmering landscape of marimbas, small tuned drums, woodwinds, ethereal female vocals and choice samples from "Come Out" and "Its Gonna Rain." On the other hand, Mantronik's "Drumming" and Howie B's "Eight Lines" emphasize the rave potential of Reich's prime percussion pieces with the skillful use of drum machines. REICH REMIXED is a highly listenable recasting of an important American composer by the grandchildren of his musical revolution.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Based on 17 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE