- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 28, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: RCA
Description by OLDIES.com:
With over 70 albums released, 40 Grammy nominations and over 3,000 songs copyrighted, Dolly Parton's standing as one of entertainment's most beloved and durable icons is undeniably assured. A true multi-medium superstar, with chart topping records, hit movies, a television variety show, and even a theme park named in her honor, Dolly Parton has more charted singles than any other female in the history of country music. Here is the most comprehensive look at a remarkable music career that has spanned nearly four decades with all of Dolly Parton's essential songs on two CDs.
Q - 10/03, p.1284 stars out of 5
- "...[The album] showcases a musical talent that puts Dolly Parton in a league of her own..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Dumb Blonde
- 2.Just Because I'm A Woman
- 3.My Blue Ridge Mountain Boy
- 4.Mule Skinner Blues (Blue Yodel No. 8)
- 6.Coat Of Many Colors
- 7.Touch Your Woman
- 8.My Tennessee Mountain Home
- 10.Please Don't Stop Loving Me (With Porter Wagoner)
- 11.I Will Always Love You
- 12.Love Is Like A Butterfly
- 13.The Bargain Store
- 14.The Seeker
- 15.We Used To
- 16.All I Can Do
- 17.Light Of A Clear Blue Morning
- 18.It's All Wrong, But It's All Right
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Here You Come Again
- 2.Two Doors Down
- 4.I Really Got The Feeling
- 5.You're The Only One
- 6.Starting Over Again
- 7.Old Flames Can't Hold A Candle To You
- 8.9 To 5
- 9.But You Know I Love You
- 10.Single Women
- 11.Heartbreak Express
- 12.Islands In The Stream (With Kenny Rogers)
- 13.Save The Last Dance For Me (With The Jordanaires)
- 14.Tennessee Homesick Blues
- 15.God Won't Get You
- 16.To Know Him Is To Love Him (With Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris)
- 17.Why'd You Come In Here Lookin' Like That
- 18.Rockin' Years (With Ricky Van Shelton)
Personnel includes: Dolly Parton (vocals, guitar); Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Kenny Rogers, Porter Wagoner (vocals).
Producers include: Dolly Parton, Bob Ferguson, Gary Klein, Ricky Skaggs, Gregg Perry.
Compilation producer: Al Quaglieri.
Recorded between 1970 & 1988. Includes liner notes by Holly George-Warren. Includes liner notes by Holly George-Warren.
Personnel: Dolly Parton (vocals); Emmylou Harris, Kenny Rogers, Porter Wagoner, Ricky Van Shelton, Linda Ronstadt (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Holly George-Warren.
Recording information: 1966-2000.
Photographers: Kristin Barlowe; Raeanne Rubenstein; Les Leverett; David Hill .
Arrangers: Porter Wagoner; Dolly Parton; Gregg Perry; Bill McElhiney; Nick DeCaro; Steve Goldstein.
One of the most successful and versatile artists in country music, Dolly Parton is a true icon of the genre. With a recording career spanning more than four decades, Parton epitomized country, while always venturing into other territories, including pop and bluegrass. Columbia/Legacy's THE ESSENTIAL DOLLY PARTON (not to be confused with other similarly titled compilations) begins with the striking performer flaunting her charmingly assertive nature with 1966's rollicking "Dumb Blonde," and proceeds in chronological fashion through Parton's slew of '70s hits, including the gentle, folk-like "Coat of Many Colors" and the gorgeous 1974 version of "I Will Always Love You." (The latter two songs, like many on this collection, were written by Parton herself.)
Parton's hits from the late '70s, '80s, and beyond continue on the second disc. Runaway '80s hits "9 to 5" (from the titular film starring Parton) and "Islands in the Stream" (her Bees Gees-penned duet with Kenny Rogers) represent her commercial peak, but the remaining latter-day songs reveal that Parton's talents--particularly her distinctive high, clear voice--were still going strong into the 2000s (most notably on her bluegrass rendition of Collective Soul's rock hit, "Shine"). For those looking for the best overview of Parton's career, this 37-track set is it.