John Mellencamp Big Daddy (Definitive Remasters Series)
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 24, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Island / Mercury
Description by OLDIES.com:
A CD reissue of Mellencamp's classic 1989 release. Newly remastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering from the original master tapes. Includes bonus track.
Rolling Stone3.5 Stars
Q3 Stars - Good
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Big Daddy Of Them All
- $0.99 on iTunes2.To Live
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Martha Say
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Theo And Weird Henry
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Jackie Brown
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Pop Singer
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Void In My Heart
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Mansions In Heaven
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Sometimes A Great Notion
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Country Gentleman
- $0.99 on iTunes11.J.M.'s Question
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Let It All Hang Out (Hidden Track)
- $1.29 on iTunes13.Jackie Brown (Acoustic Version) (Bonus Track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: John Cougar Mellencamp (vocals); Mike Wanchic (guitar, dobro, bass, background vocals); Larry Crane (guitar, mandolin); David Grissom (guitar); Lisa Germano (violin); John Cascella (accordion, keyboards); Toby Myers (bass, background vocals); Willie Weeks (bass); Kenny Aronoff (drums, percussion, background vocals), Crystal Taliefero (percussion); Pat Petersen, Georgia Jones (background vocals).
Recorded at Belmont Mall Studio, Belmont, Indiana between September 1988 & January 1989.
Personnel: John Mellencamp (vocals); Larry Crane (guitar, mandolin); Mike Wanchic (guitar, background vocals); David Grissom (guitar); Lisa Germano (violin); John Cascella (pennywhistle, accordion, Farfisa, Hammond b-3 organ); Nancy Arnold (oboe); Kenny Aronoff (vibraphone, drums); Toby Myers (bass guitar, background vocals); Willie Weeks (bass guitar); Crystal Taliefero, Georgia Jones, Pat Peterson (background vocals).
Audio Remasterer: Bob Ludwig.
Continuing with the folk inclinations of The Lonesome Jubilee, John Mellencamp recorded his most ambitious and serious-minded album with Big Daddy. Mellencamp produced the record himself, giving the album a concise and stripped-down sound, which help give his songs the appearance of being gritty statements of truth. Unfortunately, Mellencamp isn't saying nearly as much as he believes he is, since his lyrics tend to be clich‚d and half-baked, making much of the album feel pompous and self-serving. This is only reinforced by the lack of rockers on Big Daddy, since he saves the most carefree moment -- a ripping cover of the Hombres' "Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)" -- for an unlisted bonus track. Still, when he does hit his target, like on the gentle "Jackie Brown," the stuttering, fiddle-driven "Sometimes a Great Notion," and even the self-pitying "Pop Singer," Mellencamp proves that his talents haven't abandoned him. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Don HenleyActual Miles: Henley's Greatest Hits (Import) (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$3.85 Super Savings
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Original Gospel Harmonettes Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Johnny Mathis The Best of Johnny Mathis (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE