Tony Bennett Sings The Rodgers & Hart Songbook
Only 8 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Frank Sinatra Classics And Standards (CD) ~ $2.98 (Save 63%)
- Frank Sinatra Duets & Duets II: 90th Birthday Limited Collector's Edition (2-CD) ~ $22.15
- Frank Sinatra God's Country (CD) ~ $2.98 (Save 63%)
- Released: May 24, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Concord Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
"Sings The Rodgers & Hart Songbook" is an undervalued gem in the glittering discography of Tony Bennett. Contains six never-before-released alternate takes.
- 1.This Can't Be Love
- 2.Blue Moon
- 3.The Lady Is A Tramp
- 6.Spring Is Here
- 7.Have You Met Miss Jones?
- 8.Isn't It Romantic?
- 9.Wait Till You See Her
- 10.I Could Write A Book
- 11.Thou Swell
- 12.The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
- 13.There's A Small Hotel
- 14.I've Got Five Dollars
- 15.You Took Advantage Of Me
- 16.I Wish I Were In Love Again
- 17.This Funny World
- 18.My Heart Stood Still
- 19.My Romance
- 20.Mountain Greenery
- 21.This Can't Be Love (Alternate Take #1)
- 22.I Could Write A Book (Alternate Take #2)
- 23.Thou Swell (Alternate Take #2)
- 24.The Most Beautiful Girl In The World (Alternate Take #4)
- 25.I Wish I Were In Love Again (Alternate Take #1)
- 26.This Funny World (Alternate Take #3)
2 LPs on 1 CD: TONY BENNET SINGS 10 RODGERS & HART SONGS (1976)/TONY BENNET SINGS MORE GREAT RODGERS & HART (1977).
Personnel: Tony Bennett (vocals); Ruby Braff (cornet); George Barnes, Wayne Wright (guitar); John Giuffrida (bass).
Recorded from September 28-30, 1973. Includes liner notes by Will Friedwald and Ruby Braff.
Digitally remastered by Dan Hersch & Bill Inglot (DigiPrep).
Personnel: Tony Bennett (vocals); Tony Bennett; John Giuffrida (bass instrument); George Barnes, Wayne Wright (guitar); Ruby Braff (cornet).
Audio Remasterer: Seth Presant.
Audio Remixer: Seth Presant.
Liner Note Author: Will Friedwald.
Recording information: CBS Recording Studios, New York, NY (07/12/1973/07/16/1973).
Ensemble: Ruby Braff - George Barnes Quartet.
Photographer: Tommy Vano.
Soon after he left Columbia Records, Tony Bennett recorded a 20-song Rodgers & Hart set in 1973, superbly accompanied by supper-club favorites the Ruby Braff-George Barnes Quartet, and eventually released on two albums through the private Improv label in 1976 and 1977, respectively. This was a both an act of defiance and a statement of purpose on Bennett's part, for there was perhaps no more dispiriting time for singers of the great standards.
Still, Bennett chose his ammunition well, for Rodgers & Hart's breezy yet indelible romanticism had always suited this singer and also couldn't have been more out of sync with the times. Our time is a different matter however, and Rhino has seen fit to reissue the original 20-song session in fine remastered sound on one CD. The musical mood here is both tender and jaunty, as especially befits the lyrics of Lorenz Hart, for which Bennett has a particular affinity, so much so that he sings little-known extra verses of "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" to nearly epic effect. "Jaunty" also describes the masterly trumpet interjections of the impish Braff, while the quiet swinging pulse of Barnes' guitar lends the whole project an appropriately informal air.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Mary Poppins [Remastered Original Soundtrack / Bonus Tracks] (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE