Bloodstone Natural High [Collection]
Hurry! Only 1 copy left Sorry no back-orders
|You Save:||$0.41 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 16, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Rhino
Description by OLDIES.com:
The group's biggest-selling album (originally released in 1973), featuring the Top 10 R&B hit "Never Let You Go," the classic title song, six rare bonus tracks, and newly penned liner notes!
- 1.You Know We've Learned
- 2.Who Has the Last Laugh Now
- 3.Peter's Jones
- 4.That's The Way We Make Our Music
- 5.Damn That Rock & Roll: Bo Diddley / Diddley Daddy
- 6.Natural High
- 7.I Need Your Love
- 8.Tell It To My Face
- 9.Ran It In The Ground
- 10.Never Let You Go
- 11.Girl (You Look So Fine) (Bonus Track)
- 12.Judy, Judy (Bonus Track)
- 13.Sadie Mae (Bonus Track)
- 14.Take These Chains (Bonus Track)
- 15.You Don't Mean Nothin' (Bonus Track)
- 16.Little Green Apples (Bonus Track)
This reissue of NATURAL HIGH contains several tracks that did not
appear on the original release: "Girl (You Look So Fine)," "Judy, Judy," "Sadie Mae," "Take These Chains," "You Don't Mean Nothin'" and "Little Green Apples."
Bloodstone: Willis Draffen Jr., Charles Love (vocals, guitar); Eddie Summers (vocals, piano, vibraphone, drums, congas); Charles McCormick (vocals, bass); Harry Williams, Roger Durham (vocals, percussion); Melvin Webb (drums, congas, timbales).
Additional personnel: Samuel Boghossian, Erno Neufeld, Paul C. Shure, Carla Spencer (violin); Nathan Kaproff, Dan Neufeld (viola); Raymond L. Kelley, Jacqueline Lustgarten (cello); Richard L. Mackey, Arthur N. Maebe (French horn); Gene Cipriano (cor anglais); Hense Powell (piano, electric piano, organ); Gordon Dewitte (organ); Mike Vernon (glockenspiel, tubular bells, castanets); Pip Williams (arranger).
Producers includes: Mike Vernon, George Braunstein, Ron Hamady, Bloodstone, George Braunstein.
Reissue producers: David McLees, Ted Myers.
Engineer: Tony Reale.
Principally recorded at The Village Recorder, West Los Angeles, California and Command Studios, London, England in 1972. Originally released on London (620). Includes liner notes by Wayne Edwards.
Personnel: Charles Love (vocals, guitar); Eddie Summers (vocals, piano, vibraphone, drums, congas); Charles McCormick (vocals, bass guitar); Roger Durham (vocals, percussion); Erno Neufeld, Samuel Boghossian (violin); Nathan Kaproff, Dan Neufeld (viola); Jacqueline Lustgarten (cello); Pip Williams (alto horn); Gordon DeWitte (organ); Mike Vernon (glockenspiel, castanets); Melvin Webb (drums, congas, timbales).
Audio Remasterers: Daniel Hersch; Bill Inglot.
Liner Note Author: Wayne Edwards.
Director: Eddie Summers.
Arranger: Eddie Summers.
If you went by the name alone, you'd expect a group of gothic heavy-metallers, but in fact Bloodstone is one of the most underrated R&B groups of the '70s. Though best known for the mellow hit that gives this album its name, the band used R&B/soul music as a foundation for a fresh new style that owed as much to the Beatles as to Smokey Robinson. NATURAL HIGH was Bloodstone's commercial and artistic peak (it reached number 30 on the pop-albums chart). Throughout the album, psychedelic/experimental touches like backwards tapes and heavily-processed lead guitar mingle with soulful ballads and hard-edged funk.
The title track, a top-10 hit, is a beautiful ballad featuring classic falsetto soul vocals and jazzy guitar playing. Bloodstone pays homage to one of its rock and roll influences on a funked-up medley of "Bo Diddley" and "Diddley Daddy." The band can even take a pop song like "Little Green Apples" (one of several bonus tracks on this reissue) and personalize it in its inimitably soulful fashion.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)(2)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)(11)
$3.99 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- Various Artists Storm Warning: Philly Original Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $13.95 on SALE
- War Peace Sign (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Honey & The Bees Dynamite! (CD) ~ $13.95 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Funk, Volume 2: 12 Funky Tracks (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE