Al Stewart Greatest Hits
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$11.53 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.46 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Al Stewart ~ Past, Present, And Future ~ $11.09
- by Gerry Rafferty ~ Right Down the Line: The Best of Gerry Rafferty ~ $8.98
- by Al Stewart ~ Time Passages (Expanded & Remastered) ~ $13.57
- by 10cc ~ The Very Best of 10cc [Import] ~ $12.35
- by Al Stewart ~ Year of the Cat [Bonus Tracks] ~ $9.90
Products with a similar style:
- Released: May 25, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Rhino
- 1.Bedsitter Images
- 2.In Brooklyn
- 3.Electric Los Angeles Sunset
- 4.You Don't Even Know Me
- 5.Soho (Needless To Say)
- 6.Roads To Moscow
- 8.Lord Grenville
- 9.Year Of The Cat
- 10.On The Border
- 11.Song On The Radio
- 12.Time Passages
- 13.Merlin's Time
- 14.Running Man
- 15.Midnight Rocks
- 16.Last Days Of The Century
Compilation producers include: Al Stewart.
Includes liner notes by Al Stewart.
Personnel: Al Stewart (vocals, guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synthesizer); Jimmy Page, Simon Breckenridge (guitar); Rick Wakeman (piano, organ).
Liner Note Author: Thane Tierney.
Over the years, there have been plenty of Al Stewart collections, most featuring the same five or six songs, giving the impression that he's an easy artist to compile. That, however, isn't quite the case. Most of these collections are haphazardly assembled, focusing either on his early elaborate historical story songs or his lush productions of the late '70s and early '80s, choosing songs that were not necessarily hits and not necessarily good showcases for his idiosyncratic gifts. Despite its nondescript (and misleading) title and its cover art, which bewilderingly mimics the cover of Year of the Cat, Rhino's 2004 collection Greatest Hits is the first to truly to capture Stewart at his best, from his baroque British folk-rock in the late '60s to his soft rock hits a decade later. While all his American hits are here, this is more of a "best of" than a hits compilation, since it doesn't follow the charts and zeroes in on songs that capture his precious, sighing, sophisticated, lightly psychedelic and elaborately produced progressive folk-pop. It bypasses such dirges as "Nostradamus," which often appears on Stewart comps even if it's a bore, and includes such gems as the swinging '60s side "Bedsitter Images," "Electric Los Angeles Sunset," the wonderful "You Don't Even Know Me" (from Orange, one of his finest albums but one of the most overlooked), and "Carol" before settling into the familiar hits -- "Year of the Cat," "Lord Grenville," "On the Border," "Song on the Radio," "Time Passages," "Midnight Rocks" -- that all sound better here than on other hits collections because the context is right. Year of the Cat and Time Passages remain noteworthy albums in their own right, as do Orange and 24 Carrots, but as a career overview and introduction, this Greatest Hits is nearly perfect. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Brooks and Dunn - The Greatest Hits Video Collection (DVD)
$12.50 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE