Allan Sherman My Son, the Greatest: The Best of Allan Sherman [CD]
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1984
- Label: Rhino
- 1.Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh
- 2.Crazy Downtown
- 3.A Waste Of Money
- 4.Harvey And Sheila
- 5.Good Advice
- 6.Sarah Jackman
- 7.You Went The Wrong Way, Old King Louie
- 8.One Hippopotami
- 9.Shake Hands With Uncle Max
- 10.You're Getting To Be A Rabbit With Me
- 11.Shticks Of One And Half A Dozen Of The Other
- 12.Al N' Yetta
- 13.The Rebel
- 14.Pop Hates The Beatles
- 15.The Twelve Gifts Of Christmas
- 16.Chim Chim Cheese
- 17.Lotsa Luck
- 18.The Streets Of Miami
- 19.Hail To Thee, Fat Person
Producer: Jimmy Hilliard.
Compilation producer: Bill Inglot.
Includes liner notes by Steve Allen.
Personnel: Allan Sherman (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Steve Allen.
An unlikely star who, according to legend, got his recording contract strictly through being at the right party at the right time, Allan Sherman crafted musical parodies that were, in some ways, a musical equivalent to Charles Schulz's PEANUTS. Like that revered comic strip, the genial surface goofiness of Sherman's ditties barely masked the fashionable neuroses of its era (the 1960s) underneath. For example, "Crazy Downtown" inverts the premise of Petula Clark's soaring original by taking on the hysterical voice of Petula's parents, worried sick about what their daughter is getting up to in a dangerous part of town during the wee hours of the morning.
Beyond his reliance on generation gaps and Jewish humor, Sherman was a genuinely clever songwriter who was able to wring laughs from the most unexpected juxtapositions. Unlike some comedians from the same period, more importantly, Sherman presented humor that dated remarkably well, being more concerned with personal foibles than topical events. MY SON, THE GREATEST: THE BEST OF ALLAN SHERMAN is an excellent introduction, especially for those who only know "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh."
Bob NewhartSomething Like This... The Bob Newhart Anthology (2-CD)
$18.62 LABOR DAY
Allan ShermanThere is Nothing Like a Lox: The Lost Song Parodies of...
George Foster / Booker & Foster / Bob BookerYou Don't Have to Be Jewish / When You're in Love the Whole...
$11.02 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 78 ratings.
Based on 78 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Eskimos, Mean Old Queens and Little Bitty Steers (CD)
$19.58 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE