Curse of the Demon / Night of the Demon
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$10.92 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.07 (27% Off)|
- Digitally Mastered Audio and Anamorphic Video
- Remastered in High Definition
- Widescreen Presentation
- Subtitles in English, French and Japanese
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 13, 2002
- Originally Released: 1957
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Original Uncut Version - NIGHT OF THE DEMON
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins & Niall MacGinnis|
|Performer:||Maurice Denham, Peggy Cummins & Niall MacGinnis|
|Directed by||Jacques Tourneur|
|Screenwriting by||Charles Bennett|
"[A]ll subtlety and suspicion, smoke and mirrors."
4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]his 1957 chiller continues to enthrall....Special effects, advanced for the time, create uncanny atmospheres..."
"One of the most viscerally effective of all occult horror films....The film constantly catches the viewer off guard..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
A cult classic, Curse of the Demon is restored for the first time in the U.S. at its full original length. Plus, catch the rare truncated American release back to back.
A British production, Night of the Demon was released in the UK in a 95 minute running time. For the American market, the film was cut to 82 minutes, re-titled Curse of the Demon, and released in 1958. This DVD presents, for the first time in the U.S., the fully restored 95 minute version as seen by British audiences in 1957, as well as the rare, truncated American release.
Based on the M.R. James short story "Casting the Runes," Jacques Tourneur's film is considered to be one of the true classics of the horror genre, relying heavily on the power of suggestion to create a heavy atmosphere of fear and dread. The famous, much-debated monster was added by the studio against Tourneur's wishes. The original, uncut version is known as NIGHT OF THE DEMON.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 123 ratings.
Curse/Night of the Demon is one of the darkest, most intelligent horror films ever made. The story, acting and special effects are most convincing and highly impressive. This is a serious excursion into the realm of witchcraft and demonology--and one helluva great monster movie.
Top ranking DVD:
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Blake of Scotland Yard (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 3 Pack Action: The Delta Force / Delta Force 2 / Code of Silence (DVD) ~ $2.38 on SALE