The Meters The Very Best of the Meters [Rhino]
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 10, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Rhino
Q - 8/00, p.1204 stars out of 5 - "...Matches the best of the Reprise era with some early and rare singles to make for a compelling package."
Uncut - p.1113 stars out of 5 - "[With] irresistibly itchy gumbos of bare-bones bass/drums, swooping organ and chicken-scratch git-tar."
Mojo (Publisher) - 8/00, p.115"...Still sounds great 25 years on...cherry-picking [CABBAGE ALLEY, REJUVENATION and FIRE ON THE BAYOU] and the earlier Josie instrumental hits..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1303 stars out of 5 - "[A] loose yet explosive funk."
- 1.Cissy Strut
- 2.Live Wire
- 4.Look-Ka Py Py
- 7.Soul Island
- 8.Cabbage Alley
- 9.People Say
- 10.Hey Pocky A-Way
- 11.Just Kissed My Baby
- 12.Jungle Man
- 13.Out In The Country
- 14.Fire On The Bayou
- 15.They All Ask'd For You
- 16.Trick Bag
The Meters: Leo Nocentelli (guitar); Art Neville (keyboards); George Porter, Jr. (bass); Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste (drums).
Producers include: Allen Toussaint.
Recorded between 1969 and 1976. Includes liner notes by Don Snowden.
Personnel: Leo Nocentelli (guitar); Cyril Neville (congas).
Audio Remasterers: Ken Perry; Bill Inglot.
Liner Note Author: Don Snowden.
Photographer: Michael Ochs Archives.
In the late '60s, New Orleans' The Meters became one of the main purveyors of the gritty, urban funk that would come to dominate 1970's black music. After working together as a session band, guitarist Leo Nocentelli, bassist George Porter Jr., drummer Zigaboo Modeliste and keyboardist Art Neville began to release soulful, instrumental party records in the marketable mould of Booker T. and the MG's. But The Meters' catchy, wicked licks, fiery rhythmic interplay and general hard-hitting pulse gave birth to an utterly new, influential sound.
Though the band would go on to refine their sound on Reprise discs such as REJUVENATION and CABBAGE ALLEY, their earliest releases are no less compelling. THE VERY BEST OF compiles some of the band's most irresistible jams from 1968 to 1976, a period which saw the creation of such classics as "Cissy Strut," "Look-Ka Py Py," both included here. The primitive production only enhances the rhythm section's in-the-pocket punch, and Art Neville's swirling organ. This is a funk blueprint--tight, rhythmic, straight-up good time music in the finest New Orleans tradition.
The Neville BrothersThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$8.84 Super Savings
Funky MetersLive From The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Based on 20 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- War Me And Baby Brother / Ballero (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The Gap Band Early In The Morning / Open Your Mind (Wide) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Tony! Toni! Toné! Feels Good / Little Walter (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Playlist: Very Best Of (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Drifters There Goes My Baby: 10-Song Collection (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE