Emmylou Harris Luxury Liner (Expanded & Remastered)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 24, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Rhino
Rolling Stone - 4/25/02, p.804.5 stars out of 5 - "...A premonitory mix of country rock, bluegrass, Texas folk, hill-country balladry, rockabilly twang and traditional country....This album is her apex: superbly chosen songs, hot picking and a definitive representation of her plangent, romantic sensibility..."
Entertainment Weekly - 2/27/04, p.99"[Harris] drew on [Gram Parsons's] earthy country eclecticism and blossomed." - Rating: B+
Q - 4/04, p.1324 stars out of 5 - "[I]ts Parsons-penned title track and Townes Van Zandt 'Pancho And Lefty' deftly showcasing her breadth."
Uncut - 4/04, p.1125 stars out of 5 - "LUXURY LINE finds the voice even more expressive, sad-sweet with the subtlest ache, drawing out vowels almost as if blowing glass."
Mojo (Publisher) - 12/00, p.41"...The crafted apogee of her early albums with the Hot Band..."
- 1.Luxury Liner
- 2.Pancho And Lefty
- 3.Making Believe
- 4.You're Supposed To Be Feeling Good
- 5.I'll Be Your San Antone Rose
- 6.You Never Can Tell (C'Est La Vie)
- 7.When I Stop Dreaming
- 8.Hello Stranger
- 10.Tulsa Queen
- 11.Me And Willie
- 12.Night Flyer
Includes two previously unreleased bonus tracks.
Personnel: Emmylou Harris (vocals, guitar); Nicolette Larson (vocals); Rodney Crowell, Albert Lee (guitar, background vocals); Brian Ahern, James Burton, Rick Cunha (guitar); Hank DeVito (pedal steel guitar); Mike Auldridge (dobro); Ricky Skaggs (fiddle, mandolin); Mickey Raphael (harmonica); Glen D. Hardin (piano); Emory Gordy (bass); John Ware (drums); Fayssoux Starling, Herb Pedersen, Dianne Brooks, Dolly Parton (background vocals).
Recorded at the Enactron Truck, Beverly Hills, California. Originally released on Warner Bros. (2998).
LUXURY LINER, Emmylou Harris' third album, found Harris' Hot Band undergoing a major transformation. Quick-picking maestro Albert Lee replaced lead guitarist James Burton. And future mega-star Ricky Skaggs, fresh from a stint with bluegrass pioneers J.D. Crowe and the New South, also signed on, taking Rodney Crowell's place. The result was a different, but equally breathtaking, version of what was fast earning a reputation as country music's finest ensemble.
Aside from the personnel changes, LUXURY LINER is a typical early Harris album, filled with wonderful songs and performed with tons of feeling and tremendous skill. Harris takes mentor Gram Parson's title track and kicks it up a notch, allowing Lee to show off his trademark chops. Townes Van Zandt's "Pancho and Lefty" immediately follows and, while this isn't the recording of the song that topped the charts (Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard had a hit with it later), it clearly laid the blueprint for the blockbuster version. Other standout tracks on this uniformly excellent album include Chuck Berry's "C'est La Vie," the Louvin Brothers' "When I Stop Dreaming," and the Carter Family classic "Hello Stranger."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 32 ratings.
Based on 32 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Merle Haggard My Favorite Memory / Big City (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE