John Coltrane The Very Best of John Coltrane [Rhino]
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.44 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.54 (21% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 15, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Atlantic
- 1.Giant Steps
- 2.Cousin Mary
- 4.Like Sonny
- 5.My Shining Hour
- 6.My Favorite Things
- 7.Central Park West
- 9.Mr. Syms
- 11.Body And Soul
Personnel: John Coltrane (soprano & tenor saxophones); Tommy Flanagan, Wynton Kelly, McCoy Tyner (piano); Paul Chambers, Steve Davis (bass); Elvin Jones, Jimmy Cobb, Art Taylor (drums).
Producer: Nesuhi Ertegun.
Compilation producer: Patrick Milligan.
Recorded in 1959 and 1960. Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
Digitally remastered by Dan Hersch (DigiPrep).
Personnel: John Coltrane (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); McCoy Tyner, Tommy Flanagan, Wynton Kelly (piano); Elvin Jones, Jimmy Cobb , Art Taylor (drums, snare drum).
Audio Remasterer: Dan Hersch.
Liner Note Author: Nat Hentoff.
Recording information: 05/05/1959-10/24/1960.
The importance of John Coltrane as an inexhaustible, groundbreaking improviser cannot be overstated. His distinctive sound, melodic imagination and storied dedication to the craft remain an inspiration both to other saxophonists, and to later generations of jazz musicians.
These landmark sessions--a highly accessible, essential core of the Coltrane legacy--were recorded just after his bracing work with Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk, and signaled Coltrane's emergence as a dominant and enduring musical force. He reshaped standards like "Body & Soul" and "Summertime" into his own heady, harmonic image. The classic recording of "My Favorite Things," probably Coltrane's most popular, introduced his soaring soprano sax and had pianists scrambling to decipher McCoy Tyner's revolutionary chord voicings. Coltrane's trademark "sheets of sound" cover "Central Park West," and the Afro-Cuban bump of "Like Sonny" (a nod to tenor-titan Sonny Rollins), while other original compositions such as the highly influential "Giant Steps" present radical ideas that musicians still grapple with today.
Miles Davis / John ColtraneThe Best of Miles Davis & John Coltrane: 1955-1961
Miles DavisThe Best of The Capitol / Blue Note Years [Blue Note Alt....
Charlie ParkerThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$8.34 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE