Average White Band The Essentials: Average White Band
Only 7 copies left
|You Save:||$0.41 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 16, 2015
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Atlantic
Description by OLDIES.com:
Detroit-style R&B, but in a kilt. With crisp horns and a booty-shakin' groove that won't quit, this Scottish funk band broke musical boundaries to chart with hits like "Pick Up The Pieces" and "Cut The Cake."
- 1.Pick Up The Pieces
- 2.Cut The Cake
- 3.If I Ever Lose This Heaven
- 4.School Boy Crush
- 5.Queen Of My Soul
- 6.Walk On By
- 7.Got The Love
- 8.Soul Searching
- 9.A Love Of Your Own
- 11.Work To Do
- 12.Person To Person
Average White Band: Hammish Stuart, Onnie McIntyre (vocals, guitar); Alan Gorrie (vocals, bass); Malcolm "Molly" Duncan (soprano & tenor saxophone); Roger Ball (alto & baritone saxophones); Robbie McIntosh (drums).
Recorded between 1974 & 1979. Includes liner notes by Steven Ivory.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Audio Remasterer: Pat Kraus .
Liner Note Author: Steven Ivory.
Photographer: Michael Putland.
Essentials was released in 2002, during a time when compilations weren't exactly a rare commodity. To make its presence a little better, Essentials was only one of two Average White Band compilations released domestically since their 1992 best-of. Luckily for consumers and compilers, the AWB catalog is so foolproof, a good compilation is almost assured. The best songs remain the ones from their classic self-titled album from 1974. "Picking Up the Pieces" and "Person to Person" display their J.B.'s-influenced rhythm scheme. The great "Got the Love" and "Work to Do" also feature the strong vocals of guitarist/bassist Hamish Stuart and bassist/guitarist Alan Gorrie and their effortless chemistry. After the 1974 cuts, AWB never really sounded as quirky or charming again. They did remain good to great, though. With drummer Steve Ferrone replacing the late Robbie McIntosh, tracks from Soul Searching, including the title "Queen of My Soul" and the phenomenal "A Love of Your Own," prove that point. Tracks from 1975's Cut the Cake and Feel No Fret's "Walk on By" are the only ones that didn't wear all that well. Despite the track list, Essentials doesn't tell the whole story, though. This set includes nothing from Warmer Communications or the clunky Benny & Us. Perhaps that's best. While Essentials isn't as worthy as a regular-release album or the more extensive The Best of Average White Band, it's not half bad. ~ Jason Elias
Pickin' Up The Pieces: Best of The Average White Band... (CD)
$7.79 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- The Gap Band Early In The Morning / Open Your Mind (Wide) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Playlist: Very Best Of (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Drifters There Goes My Baby: 10-Song Collection (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Tony! Toni! Toné! Feels Good / Little Walter (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine / Use Me (45) ~ $3
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE