The Monkees The Best of the Monkees (2-CD)
Only 6 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$16.59 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.39 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 29, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Rhino
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.The Monkees (Theme From)
- 2.Last Train To Clarksville
- 3.I Wanna Be Free
- 4.Papa Gene's Blues
- 5.I'm A Believer
- 6.Steppin' Stone, (I'm Not Your)
- 8.Mary, Mary
- 9.Your Auntie Grizelda
- 10.Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)
- 11.Sometime In The Morning
- 12.A Little Bit Me Little Bit You
- 13.The Girl I Knew Somewhere
- 14.Shades Of Gray
- 15.Randy Scouse Git
- 16.For Pete's Sake
- 17.You Just May Be The One
- 18.Pleasant Valley Sunday
- 20.Daydream Believer
- 21.Goin' Down
- 22.What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?
- 24.Porpoise Song (Theme From "Head")
- 25.Listen To The Band
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.The Monkees (Theme From) [Instrumental]
- 2.I'm A Believer [Instrumental]
- 3.Steppin' Stone, (I'm Not Your) [Instrumental]
- 4.Pleasant Valley Sunday [Instrumental]
- 5.Daydream Believer [Instrumental]
Includes a bonus karaoke disc.
The Monkees: Michael Nesmith (vocals, guitar, pedal steel guitar, organ); Peter Tork (vocals, guitar, banjo, piano, celeste, electric piano, harpsichord, keyboards, bass); Micky Dolenz (vocals, guitar, zither, Moog synthesizer, drums, timpani, percussion); Davy Jones (vocals, organ, maracas, percussion, chimes).
Producers include: Tommy Boyce, Bobby Hart, Jack Keller, The Monkees, Carole King.
Compilation producers: Andrew Sandoval, Bill Inglot.
Recorded between 1966 & 1968. Includes liner notes by Andrew Sandoval.
Personnel: Peter Tork (vocals, guitar, banjo, piano, celesta, electric piano, harpsichord, organ, keyboards, background vocals); Micky Dolenz (vocals, guitar, zither, Moog synthesizer, drums, timpani, percussion, background vocals); Michael Nesmith (vocals, guitar, organ); Davy Jones (vocals, organ, maracas, tambourine, percussion, chimes, background vocals).
Audio Remasterers: Daniel Hersch; Bill Inglot.
Liner Note Author: Andrew Sandoval.
Photographer: Henry Diltz.
Unknown Contributor Role: Davy Jones.
This is as fine a job as anyone could look for in a single-disc Monkees career summary. Over the course of this generous 25-song disc, all of the Monkees numerous hits are included ("Last Train to Clarksville," "Daydream Believer," etc.), but perhaps more significantly, many lesser-known songs of equal quality can be heard. While the Monkees' many unforgettable hits were generally written by great pop composers of the day like Neil Diamond ("I'm a Believer"), Gerry Goffin & Carole King ("Pleasant Valley Sunday"), and the team of Boyce & Hart (damn near everything else), that's not the whole story.
Though the Monkees were criticized for being merely actors playing a band, Mike Nesmith was in fact a superb songwriter. He's represented by several songs here (the garagey "Mary Mary," the expansive "The Girl I Knew Somewhere," et al), and went on to release some of the best country-rock albums ever made. And though most of the playing on Monkees tracks was done by L.A. studio musicians, the blend of British-Invasion and pop-psych is totally convincing in a manner not unlike self-contained fellow Californians the Beau Brummels. Besides, as great as the Brummels were, would you really want to put their rhythm section up against the likes of Carole Kaye and Hal Blaine?
The Temptations20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$4.48 LABOR DAY
Lesley GoreThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$6.74 LABOR DAY
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 1 (6-CD Box Set)
$21.21 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Ultimate Oldies Collection, The Anniversary... (CD)
$11.03 LABOR DAY
WOGL Oldies 98.1FM - The 60's - Tenth Anniversary Ed. (CD)
$7.22 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 63 ratings.
Based on 63 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.38 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE