Jim Croce Classic Hits of Jim Croce
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 27, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Rhino
Uncut - 4/04, p.1163 stars out of 5 - "[H]e popped out airy melodies by the handful, picked guitars sweetly and sang like a blue-collar James Taylor."
- 1.You Don't Mess Around With Jim
- 2.Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels)
- 3.One Less Set Of Footsteps
- 4.Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
- 5.I Got A Name
- 6.Time In A Bottle
- 7.It Doesn't Have To Be That Way
- 8.I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song
- 9.Workin' At The Car Wash Blues
- 10.Photographs And Memories
- 11.Roller Derby Queen
- 12.New York's Not My Home
- 13.Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy)
- 14.Lover's Cross
- 15.These Dreams
- 16.A Long Time Ago
- 17.Alabama Rain
- 18.Dreamin' Again
- 19.Salon And Saloon
Personnel: Jim Croce (vocals, guitar); Maury Muehleisen (guitar).
Audio Remasterers: Daniel Hersch; Bill Inglot.
Liner Note Author: David Wild.
Photographers: Paul Wilson; Tommy O'Neal; Glenn A. Baker.
Since the bulk of Jim Croce's discography consists of compilations that shuffle "You Don't Mess Around with Jim," "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown," "Operator," "Time in a Bottle," and "I Got a Name" in a seemingly endless series of permutations, it's easy to be suspicious of another collection, particularly one bearing the nondescript title Classic Hits. But Classic Hits is from Rhino Records, not a budget label like Disky, and they have put together the first serious Croce hits compilation since 1992's double-disc The 50th Anniversary Collection. That collection, while comprehensive, had limited appeal since only hardcore fans need 49 Croce songs in one compilation, so this is the first noteworthy single-disc compilation since the first Croce hits album, the 1974 LP Photographs & Memories. Every one of the 14 songs on that album is here, but the "Classic Hits" billing doesn't mean all of his charting singles are here -- posthumous minor hit "Chain Gang Medley" is absent. Even so, it's not missed much, and even if there is an album cut or two, such as "Speedball Tucker," that would have been welcome, the 20 songs here contain all of the core Croce canon, along with a good cross-section of album tracks, good liner notes from David Wild, and good sound. Out of all the countless Croce comps on the market, it's easily the best. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Ultimate Hits of the 70s/80s/90s (3-CD Bundle Pack)
$16.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 34 ratings.
Based on 34 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Very Best of Joan Armatrading [Universal International] (CD)(4)
$9.90 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Duke Ellington Duke's Mixture / At the Bal Masque (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock 'n Roll Time Capsule, Volume 1 - Disc 6 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Count Basie First Time! The Count Meets The Duke / Count Basie Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Charlie Byrd Travelin' Man / The Touch of Gold (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE