- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: August 17, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Rhino
Rolling Stone - 8/5/99, pp.63-43 stars (out of 5)
- "...a two-CD career retrospective...[whose] intention seems to be to make Beefheart acceptable as a more middle-of-the-road rock & roller....which a part of him undoubtedly was..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 1/00, p.31
Included in Mojo Magazine's "Best Boxed Sets" of 1999.
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Diddy Wah Diddy
- 2.Frying Pan
- 4.Abba Zaba
- 5.Beatle Bones 'N Smokin' Stones
- 6.Safe As Milk
- 7.Moonlight On Vermont
- 8.Ella Guru
- 9.Old Fart At Play
- 10.Sugar 'N Spikes
- 11.Orange Claw Hammer
- 12.My Human Gets Me Blues
- 13.China Pig
- 14.Lick My Decals Off, Baby
- 16.I Wanna Find A Woman That'll Hold My Big Toe Till I Have To Go
- 17.The Smithsonian Institute Blues (Or The Big Dig)
- 18.I'm Gonna Booglarize You Baby
- 19.Click Clack
- 20.Grow Fins
- 21.When It Blows Its Stacks
- 22.Little Scratch
- 23.Big Eyed Beans From Venus
- 24.Golden Birdies
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Nowadays A Woman's Gotta Hit A Man
- 2.Low Yo Yo Stuff
- 3.Too Much Time
- 4.My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains
- 5.Clear Spot
- 6.Upon The My-O-My
- 7.Party Of Special Things To Do
- 8.Sam With The Showing Scalp Flat Top
- 9.Debra Kadabra
- 10.Hard Workin' Man (Main Title)
- 11.Bat Chain Puller
- 12.The Floppy Boot Stomp
- 13.Tropical Hot Dog Night
- 14.Owed T'Alex
- 15.Hot Head
- 16.Ashtray Heart
- 17.Sue Egypt
- 18.Making Love To A Vampire With A Monkey On My Knee
- 19.Ice Cream For Crow
- 20.The Past Sure Is Tense
- 21.Light Reflected Off The Oceands Of The Moon
Includes material recorded from 1966-1982.
Personnel includes: Captain Beefheart (vocals, harmonica, bass clarinet, soprano saxophone, musette); Frank Zappa, Denny Walley (vocals, guitar); Napoleon Murphy Brock (vocals, saxophone); George Duke (vocals, keyboards); Ry Cooder, Mark Boston, Richard Redus, John French (guitar, bass); Doug Moon, Alex Snouffer, Richard Hepner, Jeff Cotton, Bill Harkleroad, Elliot Ingber, Dean Smith, Jesse Ed Davis, Jeff Moris Tepper, Gary Lucas (guitar); Eric Drew Feldman (keyboards, bass); Michael Smotherman, Jimmy Caravan, Mark Marcellino (keyboards); Art Tripp (marimba, drums, percussion); Tom Fowler, Roy Estrada, Richard Snyder, Ira Ingber, Jerry Handley (bass); Cliff Martinez, Robert Arthur Williams (drums, percussion).
Producers include: Bob Krasnow, Richard Perry, Pete Johnson.
Compilation producers: Gary Peterson, David Baker.
Includes liner notes by Barry Alfonso.
This two-disc anthology tackles the daunting task of presenting an overview of Captain Beefheart's music in two hours. And it succeeds stunningly. The chronologically arranged set allows a novice reasonable entry points into this iconoclastic artist's often dense works. He and the Magic Band mine a sonic landscape completely of their own making. The music is blues-based at its core, but with a highly engaging sense of fractured poetics.
Throughout this collection, the ensemble demonstrates clockwork interplay. From a relatively simple track like 1966's "Diddy Wah Diddy," to the three selections dating from the final album (ICE CREAM FOR CROW) in 1982, these songs make clear why the world is still catching up with this man and his band. Though Beefheart was a never a significant commercial success his day, his influence is still being heard in countless artists who followed him. The 60-page accompanying book is loaded with photos and notes.