Late Night Jazz [Rebound]
by Various Artists
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Various Artists ~ Relaxing Jazz Piano ~ $10.78
- Released: April 16, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: UMVD Special Markets
- 1.Oscar Peterson TrioNight Train
- 2.Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto & Antonio Carlos JobimCorcovado
- 3.Wes MontgomeryThe Shadow Of Your Smile
- 4.Clifford BrownSmoke Gets In Your Eyes
- 5.Stan Getz & J.J. JohnsonMy Funny Valentine
- 6.Charlie ParkerNight And Day
- 7.Erroll GarnerOld Black Magic
- 8.George ShearingQuintessence
- 9.Wes MontgomeryGoin' Out Of My Head
- 10.Gerry MulliganBody And Soul (Live Version)
- 11.Bill EvansMidnight Mood
- 12.The Herbie Mann GroupAutumn Leaves
Rebound Records, not noted for its forays into jazz, has put together an entertaining compilation of cuts from the vaults of the Verve and Mercury labels. The roster of musicians reads like a who's who of jazz from the late '40s through the '60s. A variety of jazz styles are represented as well, from the Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto/Astrud Gilberto bossa nova rendition of "Corcovado" through the big-band-backed rhapsodic alto sax of Charlie Parker on "Night and Day" to Wes Montgomery's 1965 hit "Goin' Out of My Head," with lots of good stuff in between. There's also a nice mix of studio recordings and live performances. One highlight of the compilation is Gerry Mulligan's contemporary extemporization on "Body and Soul" from his album Meets the Saxophonist: Silver Collection. Bill Evans' introspective piano playing is captured in Joe Zawinul's lilting "Midnight Mood." A contrasting pianistic statement is heard from a member of the Art Tatum school with Erroll Garner's "Old Black Magic." More pleasurable listening comes from Clifford Brown's lyrical, string-backed interpretation of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes," which he recorded in 1955. The album's coda is a chamber orchestra setting for "Autumn Leaves" as performed by the Herbie Mann Nonet. For an almost hour-long exploration of the work of fine musicians from a fertile period of jazz, this bargain-priced album is a good investment. ~ Dave Nathan
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!