Monster by Moonlight, an Original Documentary on the Making of The Wolf Man
- Feature Commentary with Film Historian Tom Weaver
- Theatrical Trailer
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 10 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 2, 1999
- Originally Released: 1941
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono 2.0 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Notes
- Biographies: Cast & Crew
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Even the man who is pure in heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolf bane blooms
And the moon is pure and bright..."
- Maleva (MARIA OUSPENSKAYA)
Entertainment Weekly - 01/13/1995
"...Innocent, and thus more tragic....Chaney's famous make-up job makes him suitably beastly..." -- Rating: B+
A.V. Club - 02/12/2010
"It finds modern sophistication and cultured intellects unprepared to deal with a threat that's already at hand, maybe even under our own skin."
Description by OLDIES.com:
The original horror classic that introduced one of the screen's most infamous monsters! Lon Chaney, Jr. portrays Larry Talbot, who returns to his father's (Claude Rains) castle in Wales and meets a beautiful woman (Evelyn Ankers). One fateful night, Talbot escorts her to a local carnival where Jenny's fate is revealed by a mysterious gypsy fortune teller. The dreamlike atmospheres and elaborate settings combined with a chilling musical score make The Wolf Man a masterpiece not only of the genre, but for all time!
After returning home to his English village, Larry Talbot gets attacked by a werewolf in the forest. Although he kills the beast, Larry realizes he has received a bite during the struggle -- a bite that passes along the monster's curse to him.
Maleva, the gypsy mother of the dead wolfman, comes to Larry's aid and tells him that he too will now transform into a werewolf each time there's a full moon. While the story sounds ridiculous to Larry, he starts to believe it once more brutal killings occur in the village.
Neither his father, Sir John Talbot, nor the woman Larry loves are willing to believe the truth... but soon they're forced to confront the nature of Larry's curse as well.
Horror Classic |
Horror Movies |
Sci-Fi / Horror / Fantasy |
- The creator of the Wolf Man franchise, writer Curt Siodmak, died on September 2, 2000, at the age of 98--at the time he was the oldest working member of the Writers Guild of America West and had just completed his memoirs.