Universal Studios Wolf Man Double Feature: Werewolf of London (1935) / She-Wolf of London (1946)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.13 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.85 (32% Off)|
More products that might interest you:
- Classic Horror Collection: 20 Full Color Vintage Movie Postcards ~ $5.98 (Save 60%)
- Includes Theatrical Trailers from Both Films.
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 17 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 28, 2001
- Originally Released: 1935
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Original Theatrical - WEREWOLF OF LONDON
- Original Theatrical - SHE-WOLF OF LONDON
- Production Notes
- Biographies: Cast & Filmmakers
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Henry Hull, June Lockhart & Don Porter|
|Performer:||Valerie Hobson & Sara Haden|
|Directed by||Stuart Walker & Jean Yarbrough|
Description by OLDIES.com:
She-Wolf of London (1946; 62 minutes): The citizens in turn-of-the-century London are terrified and Scotland Yard is baffled by a mysterious string of bloody killings in the city's most infamous park. In a nearby estate Phyllis Allenby (June Lockhart) fears that the "Allenby Curse" which led to the death of her parents has now turned her into a "she-wolf." Haunted by dreams of mayhem and worried she's going insane, Phyllis breaks off her engagement with her fiance (Don Porter). Determined to prove that the woman he loves couldn't be a murderess, he sets out to unmask the real killer.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 22 ratings.
The tendency is to compare the she-wolf to the wolf-man as
portrayed by Lon Chaney Jr. The she-wolf is far more subtle-- almost too subtle. One yearns for Universal's The Wolf Man with its fortune tellers, nightmarish montage, and both suggested and enacted transformations. Still, She-Wolf should get the two stars: one for Martin Kosleck as the penniless artist in a "don't mind me; I'm just sitting here waiting to be the next victim" pose; the other star goes to the efforts to create a psychological horror thriller with a female lead.
The best thing about this film is Martin Kosleck as the penniless artist who smokes a pipe while assuming an unsuspecting victim pose. As a wolf man fan, I felt that womankind were poorly served with the werewolf portrayal! What? Not even a surreal nightmare sequence?
Except for what I think are two lost silent films, Werewolf of London is the first werewolf movie proper.
Henry Hull's makeup is clipped of hair compared to Chaney, Jr's more familiar Wolf Man, yet this very factor gives the London werewolf a more original and demonic appearance. I find the story to be darker & more compelling as well.
This is a Gothic horror masterpiece from Universal's "golden age",on the same level as Karloff's Frankenstein & Lugosi's Dracula.
She-Wolf of London is a murder mystery with horror trappings. Worth a look.
- Sales Rank: 24,834
- UPC: 025192141027
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Scarlett - Complete Mini-Series (DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.98 on SALE