Bobby "Blue" Bland His California Album
|You Save:||$1.01 (14% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 22, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: MCA Special Products
Mojo (Publisher) - 12/00, p.64"...Bland's 1st two albums for new label ABC were his best. Producer Steve Barri gave Bland a more urban edge that, on the best material made Bland relevant - and revealing - all over again..."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.This Time I'm Gone For Good
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Up And Down World
- $0.99 on iTunes3.It's Not The Spotlight
- $0.99 on iTunes4.(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Goin' Down Slow
- $0.99 on iTunes6.The Right Place At The Right Time
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Help Me Through The Day
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Where My Baby Went
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Friday The 13th Child
- $0.99 on iTunes10.I've Got To Use My Imagination
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Bobby "Blue" Bland (vocals); Ben Benay, David Cohen, Larry Carlton, Mel Brown, Dean Parks (guitar); Chuck Findley, Paul Hubinon, Dick Hyde, Ernie Watts, Jack Kelson Jr. (horns); Michael Omartian (piano, organ); Wilton Felder, Max Bennett (bass); Ed Greene (drums); Ginger Blake, Julia Tillman, Maxine Willard (background vocals).
Includes liner notes by Andy McKaie.
Bland's first album for ABC-Dunhill was aptly titled. The players were the cream of the Los Angeles session scene (particularly bassist Wilton Felder and guitarist Larry Carlton), and backup singer Ginger Blake was a member of the legendary Brian Wilson-produced girl group the Honeys. Fortunately, all of them proved thoroughly sympathetic to Bland's brand of down-home blues, and the resulting album is neither overproduced nor slick. On the contrary, HIS CALIFORNIA ALBUM has a nice, late-night feel reminiscent of B.B. King's "The Thrill is Gone."
Bland, who's in exceptionally good voice here, simmers his way through some cover songs that suit his impassioned delivery to a T, including Gladys Knight's "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Luther Ingram's "I Don't Want to Be Right," and Gerry Goffin's "It's Not the Spotlight." The album's high point, however, is the opening "This Time I'm Gone for Good," a beautiful, modern soul-blues plaint sung by Bland with just the right amount of intensity and regret. "Six Degrees of Bobby Bland" trivia: Trip-hop folkie Beth Orton covered "Spotlight" on the soundtrack to the 1999 Kevin Bacon film A Stir of Echoes.
Bobby "Blue" BlandThe Best of Bobby Bland - 20th Century Masters / Millennium...
$8.84 Super Savings
Bobby "Blue" BlandGet on Down With Bobby Bland / Reflections in Blue
$14.81 Super Savings
The Best of Blues Guitars - 20th Century Masters /... (CD)(3)
$4.31 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Blues: Texas / West Coast Music Categories:
Color Blind (CD)
$9.90 Super Savings
- Anson Funderburgh The Best of Blast Off (CD) ~ $8.29
- Marcia Ball Live! Down the Road (CD) ~ $16.18
- Marcia Ball The Tattooed Lady & The Alligator Man (CD) ~ $16.18
Fever For the Bayou (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Blues genre:
- Leadbelly/Blind Willie McTell Masters of The Country Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Lightnin' Hopkins From The Vaults of Everest Records, Part 3 - Mama And Papa Hopkins (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Lightnin' Hopkins Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- John Lee Hooker Gotham Golden Classics - The Rare Recordings (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Little Joe Blue The Very Best of Little Joe Blue (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE