- Subtitles in English, French & Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 6, 2003
- Originally Released: 1939
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
James Stewart &
Samuel S. Hinds,
Billy Gilbert &
Henry Myers &
Frederick Hollander &
Director of Photography:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Thar's gold in them hills."
- A Cowhand to Frenchy (Marlene Dietrich)
USA Today - 01/05/1989
"...It keeps getting better with repeat viewings..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
As Destry, a mild-mannered deputy who doesn't like guns, Stewart is called to restore order to the hopelessly corrupt frontier town of Bottleneck. Though reluctant to undertake such an enormous task, he's soon roped into action after meeting the seductive Frenchy (Dietrich), an alluring saloon girl who belts out unforgettable show-stoppers like "The Boys in the Back Room," while winning the hero's heart. Packed with unforgettable performances, snappy dialogue and rousing tunes, Destry Rides Again is a true fan favorite which set the standard for all western comedies to come.
DESTRY RIDES AGAIN will forever be remembered for Marlene Dietrich's performance as Frenchy, a crooked saloon waitress with a heart of gold. Her rendition of "See What the Boys in the Back Room Will Have" is one of the highlights of her career. But DESTRY RIDES AGAIN has much more to offer than just Dietrich's performance. This hilarious satire carries Jimmy Stewart in the lead as Tom Destry, a supposedly tough law enforcement man who doesn't like guns. Stewart's comic touches are brilliant as he eagerly gives out educational anecdotes anytime an opportunity affords itself. The plot concerns the efforts of a saloon owner and a corrupt Mayor to rob the local cowpokes blind. Frenchy's on the payroll of the bad guys, but when sparks fly between her and Destry, her loyalty becomes a deciding factor in whether it's Destry or the bad guys who will ride off into the sunset.
Classic Fight Scenes |
Essential Cinema |
- DESTRY RIDES AGAIN was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1996.
- There is a 1932 DESTRY RIDES AGAIN starring Tom Mix. In 1950 another version of the story was made, entitled FRENCHIE. It was directed by Louis King and starred Joel McCrea and Shelley Winters. In 1954 yet another version came out, entitled DESTRY. George Marshall once again directed, and Audie Murphy and Mari Blanchard starred.
- Marlene Dietrich has one of her most famous moments in this movie singing "See What the Boys in the Back Room Will Have."
- Casting of the lead roles was unusual for the time. Stewart had never played a Western, and Dietrich had previously played the high society gal. Her rough and tumble appearance in DESTRY RIDES AGAIN revitalized her career.
- Copyright 1939 Universal Pictures Co., Inc. Renewed 1967 by Universal Pictures.