Etta James Come A Little Closer
|You Save:||$0.70 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: August 31, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: MCA Special Products
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Etta James (vocals); Danny Kortchmar, Ken Marco, Lowell George, Wah-Wah Watson (guitar); Chuck Findley, David Duke , Gene Cipriano, Charles Dinwiddie, Jim Horn, Steve Madaio, Trevor Lawrence, Bobby Keys, Lew McCreary (horns); Gabriel Mekler, William McLeish Smith, Larry Nash, William D. "Smitty" Smith (keyboards); Larry Mizell (ARP synthesizer); Louis Spears (upright bass); Kenneth "Spider Webb" Rice (drums); Mailto Correa, Gary Coleman (percussion); Gwen Edwards, Venetta Fields, Carlena Williams (background vocals).
Audio Remasterer: Erick Labson.
Liner Note Author: Mary Katherine Aldin.
Recording information: Los Angeles, CA (1974-1975); New York, NY (1974-1975).
Illustrator: Bill Hoffman.
Etta James was fighting serious substance abuse problems when this album was recorded, commuting to the sessions from a rehab center. It was a triumph simply to complete the record at all. Although James' life may have been in rough shape outside of the studio, she delivered a fairly strong set that fused forceful '70s soul arrangements with some rock (Randy Newman and John Kay both contribute compositions), jazz, and New Orleans R&B. Some of the material is routine, but there are some very strong cuts, like a rousing "Sookie Sookie" and "Out on the Street Again," with its slightly sinister funk groove. "Feeling Uneasy," in fact, counts as one of the unsung highlights of her career, with a wrenching, near-wordless scat-moan vocal over a suitably languorous, melancholy blues-jazz arrangement. ~ Richie Unterberger
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE